jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

Interview with The 125 Collection Lifestyle Brand

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

What happens when you introduce an editorial makeup artist to an experiential brand director? You get the inspirational lifestyle brand, The 125 Collection. After living in Harlem for over 14 years, best friends Joy Fennel and Valerie Wray, decided to go into business together, creating beautifully scented candles for the fashion-forward individual who wants to express themselves in style!

In efforts to get to know these savvy women and their brand, we asked them questions about their candles and the ins and outs of being a business owner. Check out what Joy and Valerie had to say.

HC:  How does the 125 Collection choose their quotes?

125:  The 125 Collection is constantly inspired by NYC city, fashion, and pop culture (even the name was inspired by New York streets!). We have created three categories of quotes that speak to three different personality types: spicy, sweet, and spiritual. These quotes are edgy, funny, motivational, and stay current with what’s going on culturally. Our hope is that our customers can find a quote they can connect with and purchase the candle as their own self-mantra or as a perfect gift for someone.

HC: What is your favorite candle you sell?

125: While we love all our candles, our current favorites are My Life is Dope, I Do Dope Sh*t, Trust Your Inner Beyoncé, and Be You Do You For You.

HC: What sets the 125 Collection apart from other candles on the market?

125: There are so many amazing brands out there but what sets us apart from them is that not only do we offer a quality candle, but our candles are created as self-expression pieces. Customers can choose from over 50 quotes that directly speak to them in a cool sleek jar that can be repurposed after the candle has burned. We are connecting to independent women and men through self-expression which is empowering to us and our customers.

HC: What is the oldest candle you sell?  

125: We have several candles that are still in our catalog since day one, however, the most popular oldest one is Namastay in Bed. We’ve changed the look of it over the last year, but it’s still a customer favorite.

*The 125 Collection has given Her Campus The New School a FREE ‘Namastay in Bed’ giveaway candle. To win you must:

1. Follow The 125 Collection on Instagram HERE 

2. Follow Her Campus at The New School on Instagram HERE and tag two friends in the comments section who would like the candle*

On discussing being a business owner…

HC: What is your favorite part about being a business owner?

125: Setting your own rules and creating a brand that truly represents everything you believe in and then seeing it come to life.

HC: What are some things you have learned from being a business owner?

125: We learned the importance of being flexible and resourceful. So many new opportunities and challenges surface as the business grows and we’ve learned to bend and find new ways of doing things. We are both very independent go-getters and we learned quickly that we can’t do every single thing ourselves.  Thinking out-of-the-box and asking for help is something that has helped us tremendously along our journey.

HC: What advice would you give to young women trying to start a business?

125: Don’t let fear get in the way of your dream. Do your research, find a mentor and go for it!

The candle giveaway will take place on Instagram,@HCTNS. From February 26 through March 2nd. Winner will be announced March 2nd.

Amanda Miller

New School '18

Amanda Miller is an undergraduate at The New School studying Literature and writing. She is the proud editor for the Her Campus New School chapter. Among many of her passions is human rights and fighting against animal cruelty. She has published her work in several publications including the following:Reverberations Magazine, The New School Free Press & The New School Eleven and Half Literary Journal.
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com