How to Actually Keep Your 2017 New Year Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

First, I’d like to say happy New Year!

Another year has come and gone. It’s amazing (and a little scary) how fast time flies. Each year, we’re confronted with coming up with new goals to tackle. However, it’s rare for someone to fully commit to their new resolutions.

In fact, New Year resolutions can pretty much be summed up with this:

According to the Huffington Post, only eight percent of people actually stick to their New Year Resolutions. Yes, you read that correctly, eight percent. It seems as if the resolutions only last for the first few weeks of January, and then we’re back to our old habits. Maybe we’re too ambitious with our goals. We strive to accomplish long-term goals, and yet we expect to achieve in less than a month; Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Once a wise French writer by the name of Antoine de Saint-Exupery said, “A goal without a plan is just a wish,” and he’s exactly right. However, sometimes when I hear the word “plan,” I relate to Phoebe Buffay from “Friends.”

Whatever it is you’re hoping to achieve for the New Year, make sure to keep it simple. If you’re trying to convert to vegetarianism, but have been finding it difficult because burgers always seem to call your name (confession: I am so guilty of this), try starting out by eating less meat.

Or maybe, make your resolution goal more about learning something new. After all, a New Year signifies hope and a new beginning. It’s a chance to click the reset button and start all over again. But remember to be real with yourself. Know your limits and what you would actually be able to fulfill. To quote the first “High School Musical” number, it’s the “start of something new.” So, cheers to the New Year, and cheers to the same, but evolved you!

Hello there, my name is Caroline Dilone, I was born and bred in NYC and am a graduate of The New School where I majored in Journalism + Design. I have a passion for storytelling, travel, art, and coffee shops. As a former Her Campus New School Writer, I am so excited to return as an After College Feature Writer.
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com