Don’t Be Basic – The Definitive Guide to After-Hours Alternatives

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

While a night out in New York may feel like a fairy tale, no one here is going to tell you to go home when the clock strikes midnight. In fact, regardless of the cliché your mother has been telling you all of these years, some of the most memorable moments happen right around 2:01 a.m., especially in the city that never sleeps. Instead of spending a basic night at the after-hours bar, how about giving it a real New York-go with these after-hour alternatives.

Martinis & Manicures at The Beauty Bar

Head over to the Beauty Bar for the ultimate girl’s night out. Thanks to the genius Paul Devitt, you can now gather underneath vintage chrome-domed hair dryers and gossip with your girls while getting a manicure and sipping on a martini, for just $10!

Manicure hours: Monday – Friday 6 p.m. to 11 p.m., Saturday – Sunday 3 p.m. to 11 p.m.

Bar hours: Monday – Friday 5 p.m. to 4 a.m., Saturday – Sunday 2 p.m. to 4 a.m.

Bowling & Booze at Whitestone Lanes

You could join the hipsters and spend your night at Brooklyn Bowl, or you could be a rebel and head over to Queens to Whitestone Lanes. It’s open 24 hours and bowling is just $20 on the weekends.

Mondays and Tuesdays Nights “All You Can Bowl Special,” $19.95 per person

Saturdays and Sundays Mornings “All You Can Bowl Special,” $19.00 per person

Bubbles & Bubbly at Juvenex in Midtown

Treat yourself and your girls to an all-night pamper party or get cozy with your partner at the 24-hour Juvenex Spa in Midtown. Enjoy a couple’s massage or an intimate hot tub experience, either way you’re bound to have a spicy story to tell your friends the next day.

Ladies only, every day from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Couples, every evening from 5 p.m. to 7 a.m.

Cuddle at the Bowtie Cinemas in Chelsea

“Netflix and Chill” is so overrated, especially when you could spend the night running around the city of Manhattan. Instead of cuddling up on your sofa, take your BAE to Bowtie Cinemas in Chelsea to see a midnight showing of the retro classic, “Rocky Horror Picture Show.”

All regular movies $6 on Tuesdays.

Large tubs of popcorn just $5 at participating locations.

BYOB at Gagopa Karaoke

What sounds more appetizing than singing your heart out after a night of drinking? Gagopa Karaoke offers more than 20,000 song titles in English and 10,000 or more in Spanish, Japanese, and Chinese. Stock up on booze, get your best girls together, and party like it’s 2000 again in one of Gagopa’s private rooms.

One to four people, $32 per hour.

More than five people, $8 per person, per hour.

[Feature Image by Pexels]

Tabitha Britt

New School '18

Tabitha Britt (formerly Tabitha Shiflett) was the Editor-in-Chief and Co-Correspondent of Her Campus at The New School between August 2016 - January 2018. Tabitha graduated from The New School of Social Research on January 31, 2018. She's also a graduate of the Dub (The University of North Carolina Wilmington, UNCW) where she held the position of Managing Editor for the UNCW HC team. You can find her byline in a variety of publications including CBS Local, Taste of Home, Luna Luna, Thought Catalog, and Elite Daily. See more at www.tabithashiflett.com.