This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Quick Details: 

“BARE”

May 31, 2017

Directed by: Natalia Leite

Starring: Dianna Agron, Chris Zylka, Louisa Krause, Paz de la Huerta

“The film follows a young woman living in a small desert town in Nevada, who becomes romantically involved with a female drifter who leads her into a life of drugs, stripping, and psychedelic spiritual experiences.”

The Review: 

Dianna Agron does a wonderful job portraying a typical girl stuck in the banality of life. The film’s plot, however, feels rushed in the establishment of Pepper and Sarah’s relationship. The “couple,” if we can even refer to them as that, are polar opposites, which I believe, only truly hold chemistry through Agron’s shy charm. Aside from Sarah’s crush on Pepper, the relationship is not really validated. Although the two women sleep together, in a tasteful sex scene, the romantic effects of their affair are never addressed. The two women balance on the fine line between a couple and friendship, which most “coming of age” films choose to showcase. Pepper’s character, personally infuriated me. She remained indifferent to Sarah, their relationship, and life throughout the entire film. The only moments where Pepper raised her voice over its usual lazy raspy whisper, is when she found her own safety at risk. 

The relationship between Sarah and Pepper was not real, although perhaps for Sarah it was. Sarah initiated everything that happened between her and Pepper, which I appreciate due to the fact that if placed within a Femme/Butch spectrum, Sarah would be considered femme and therefore submissive. The decision to have Sarah make all the first moves was refreshing and rejects the overdone and heteronormative idea that Sapphic relationships should model after heterosexual relationships. Aka, that the more masculine person should be dominant/control the relationship, rather than the feminine person. Neither Sarah nor Pepper’s sexualities are every explicitly disclosed, which is not necessary. And although in the end of the film, Sarah decides that she does not belong in Pepper’s life, she does not claim to be straight nor does she claim that their relationship was a mistake. In fact, the close up of Sarah’s face when her ex-boyfriend declares that he will save her from the life that Pepper has dragged her into, showcases her desire to be away from him. 

Pepper and Sarah’s last conversation summarizes their relationship entirely. Sarah is woken up from Peppers drug filled daydream and realizes that Pepper does not actually care about her well-being and is only concerned with herself. Although Sarah clearly loves Pepper, her anger and humiliation fuel her. Pepper on the other hand, halfheartedly mumbles for Sarah to stay and does not chase or beg when Sarah doesn’t listen. The final scene of the film shows Sarah walking down an empty road, and hitchhiking. This scene creates an open-ended conclusion to the end of the film and Sarah’s character. It can be said that Sarah was attracted to what Pepper embodied, freedom, and in the end found her own version of freedom.

Overall the film was entertaining, however, it left me wanting a fulfilling LGTBQ love story. I would not categorize this as an LGBTQ romance film as much as an LGBTQ coming of age film. It is a small difference however, it would make all the difference for someone looking to gush and watch a love story. I did not enjoy Pepper’s character or the actress, Paz de la Huerta, who was chosen to play her. The film itself had some beautiful shots and I was surprised to find that it was filmed in exactly two months. The quality of the film did not seem like two months of work, however, the plot line could have been better, at times it seemed too rushed. 

5/10 

[Photos: Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation]

PILI LOPEZ

New School '20

PILI 👁 MILALMAS - They/Them/Elle 🌞 - NorthAndean 🌅🪶⛰ Trans-disciplinary portal creator Creative Director - Ink + Blood Tattoo ceremonies #qttr 🕸♾🐺🩸♥️ linktr.ee/_pili_lopez Instagram: @ojosmagnificos - https://ojosmagnificos.myportfolio.com/ http://portfolio.newschool.edu/pililopez/ - BAFA The New School- Eugene Lang College + Parsons School of Design
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com