This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Do you want to take control of the one aspect of your life that will let you? Great! Here are some tips and tricks to figure out if you’re dreaming or not. 

(Mind you, these little tricks should become apart of your daily habits if you want your subconscious self to check automatically in your dreams.) 

1. Pinch yourself. In dreams, you won’t be able to feel it. 

2. Look at your hands and count your fingers. You’ll either have no fingers or too many, or even an extra arm! Though it’s not as scary as it sounds. You know how in a dream you don’t really find something weird until you wake up and reflect on it? This is the same concept. Nothing will really faze you. But you’ve got to be careful not to get too excited, or you’ll wake yourself up.

3. Look in a mirror. Your mind won’t be able to come up with a reflection of you. It might look like you’re in a clown mirror, or your face might look like a Picasso painting. 

4. Read. In dreams, you’re not able to read. Try to focus (but not too hard) on words, and if you can’t figure out what it’s saying, then you’re dreaming. 

5. Look up at the sky. The sky in your dreams will look like a painting. The sky is such an abstract concept that even our minds have issue wrapping our brains around it. In your dreams, the sky looks like it’s painted. 

6. You don’t remember waking up. You could be going about your day, not really noticing anything in particular. Ask yourself if you remember waking up this morning. Do you remember having breakfast or did you skip it? 

7. Jump/Run. In your dreams, your body will either work really slow or will even work against you. Not moving quick enough or shooting through the sky from the velocity of your jump.

8. Falling. Now, please don’t do this in the middle of the street, or anywhere will it cause you harm. The previous tips will suffice. However, in your dream state you’ll when you fall (depending on where you are and how far you fall) you’ll be able to change the setting of the dream or in the worst circumstances wake yourself up. 

Bonus: A little extra tip. Another aspect of being aware that you’re dreaming, or even remembering your dreams in the first place is to write them down. Whether they’re key elements of the dream or every single detail, it’s good to keep in the habit. 

You might even be able to find a pattern to your dreams. Like you always walk through doorways, or there’s always that one celebrity or color whenever you think, see, or experience certain dream aspects in your everyday life pinch yourself or look at your hands, so when you have that experience in your dream it’ll be automatic. 

Good luck in your dreamscape! 

Maddy Delaney is the Co-Correspondent for Her Campus at Wesleyan College. When she's not writing, she's hammock-ing, eating mozzarella sticks, or knitting. Yes, she is, in fact, an elderly woman named Edith in a college student's body. 
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com