Wellness > Sex + Relationships

8 Signs It’s Not You It’s Him, According to Bravo Star Chanel Omari

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Walking away from a crappy relationship is better said than done, but sometimes all it takes is a little eye-opening advice to take the plunge. Thanks to television personality and author of It’s Not About You. Don’t Take it Personally Chanel Omari, here are eight signs it’s time to say BOY BYE. 

You Feel Judged

“Because your partner is judging you,” Omari told Her Campus at The New School, “he may be belittling the kind of work you do, who you hang out with, the way you speak, how you look or dress. And it’s all bloody wrong. If your partner is in it for the long run, they should love who you naturally are. Don’t change yourself, change partners!” 

Not Going to Marry Until… 

“Yep, he went there,” Omari continued. “I had a friend whose fiancée had the nerve to belittle her and demand that he ‘would only marry her if she could fit in the dress.’ Well, guess what? There are plus-sized dresses out there and plenty of men that love women with curves and now she’s engaged again.” 

You Both Bring Out the Worst in Each Other

“You used to feel happy, motivated, adoring, a lover of life, social and all around lovely,” Omari said. “Now you’re bitter, worried, feel paranoid, and abused. Time to evaluate if this is something you’ve done in past relationships or maybe he is the one torturing your otherwise beautiful happy soul.”

He Makes You Compete for His Affection 

“He still tries to seduce other women to feel desired without ‘acting upon it.’ He needs female attention, and his eyes do a little more than wander,” Omari said. “Maybe your self-esteem would hit the sky if you were around a person that though YOU were always the most beautiful one in the room.”

You’re Not a Priority

“It doesn’t matter the occasion, he always finds a way to justify his lack of interest in including you or prioritizing you in his life,” Omari said. “Soccer, Basket, drinks with friends, clubbing, sleeping. It all comes before you, even when you specifically ask him to attend that boring family gathering of yours. Next!” 

You Just Can’t Get to Him

“Your not-so-shiny knight seems to need to polish his not-so-shiny armor because he resembles a toad more than a prince,” Omari said. “Truth is, it shouldn’t be so hard to get some feedback from him. Even if he’s busy, he should be able to give a response. Communication is key and if it’s missing, ditch that toad!”

There’s No Trust  

“If your gut feeling is telling you that this person is not worth trusting, there’s something there, honey,” Omari said. “Not listening to your gut is what makes or breaks any situation. You’re an adult. No trust, no love.”

Liar Liar Relationship on Fire

“He lies and you know it, Omari said. “And he knows you know it. White lies now and then are Ok. ‘Do I look fat in this dress?’ ‘No, you look skinnier in that dress.’ That’s fine, but if he lies about things that matter, then you’re better off alone or with someone who has the balls to be direct and real. Again, be an adult.”

About Chanel Omari 

TV personality and reality star and now, radio host of 106.1 WBLI, a top 40 radio station in New York, which is also part of IHEARTRADIO MEDIA and has over a million listeners daily, Chanel Omari has come a long way in 30 years.  After earning her bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism & Communications at Northeastern University, Omari worked in television production, writing, producing and reporting for nearly a decade. Over the last ten years, Chanel worked for industry heavy-hitters including Donny Deutsch, Maury Povich, Bill Cunningham and Anderson Cooper.

[Feature image by Pexels] 

Tabitha Britt

New School '18

Tabitha Britt (formerly Tabitha Shiflett) was the Editor-in-Chief and Co-Correspondent of Her Campus at The New School between August 2016 - January 2018. Tabitha graduated from The New School of Social Research on January 31, 2018. She's also a graduate of the Dub (The University of North Carolina Wilmington, UNCW) where she held the position of Managing Editor for the UNCW HC team. You can find her byline in a variety of publications including CBS Local, Taste of Home, Luna Luna, Thought Catalog, and Elite Daily. See more at www.tabithashiflett.com.