Culture > News

6 Publications and News Outlets to Read In Order to Stay Woke

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

In our current political climate, it’s imperative that we stay informed on what is going on, and how it affects us or the people around us. Even if news doesn’t necessarily seem pertinent to our lives at all times, we live in a globalized world where we are impacted to some extent by every piece of breaking news, no matter now pleasant or uncomfortable that may sound. It’s reassuring to know that as young, empowered college women, we have a choice over which news outlets we receive news from. Regardless of your political opinion, the list below will surely provide a range of voices to keep you well informed, and always woke. 

Bust

Bust magazine’s slogan is, “For women with something to get off their chest,” which I think pretty perfectly sums up the publication’s mission. It provides a smart and sexy outlook on feminism, entertainment, and arts, all the while focusing unapologetically on the role that women and female-identified individuals play in these fields. They are on the cutting edge when it comes to staying woke in the pop culture sphere, and their current cover girl is the incomparable Greta Gerwig, who recently directed the highest rated movie on Rotten Tomatoes, Lady Bird.

Teen Vogue

Two or three years ago, the idea of Teen Vogue being on this list would be an impossibility, but it has defied every expectation. Under the leadership of Elaine Welteroth, Teen Vogue has become one of the most relevant and provocative news outlets of our newfound political age, starting with their coverage of the 2016 election. It features hard hitting news articles, opinion pieces on feminism, sexuality, and gender, as well as explorations of fashion, beauty, and entertainment. What Teen Vogue has done exceptionally well is demonstrate that interests in politics and fashion are not mutually exclusive, and can, in fact, coexist within one reader.

Her Campus

Of course we had to include the number one new-media outlet for college women, which was recently featured on Forbes 30 under 30. The very site where you are reading this article is a powerful platform to stay informed on the varied opinions of college women across the country. These are the very women that will be the leaders of every industry tomorrow, and hearing what they have to say is imperative in understanding the complexities of the world which we are inheriting. They will give you their outlook on entertainment, travel, politics, dating, and the 21st century college experience, all of which impact the world we live in.

Refinery29

With a huge variety of video content and op-ed pieces, Refinery29 stands out as a platform for creative and politically active women around the world. It has a focus on lifestyle pieces that intertwines with a cool-girl aesthetic throughout all of their platforms, including their website and social media platforms. What I especially love about the site is how welcoming it feels; you’ll never feel intimidated reading its articles or interacting with its content, because it really is written by and for women of all walks of life. 

The New York Times

College women know that it is imperative to understand and delve into the media coverage that shapes our world, and few publications have had more significant impacts on our media landscape than The New York Times. You know all those sexual assault allegations going on? Well, they all started with an article published by The Times  revealing five women’s accounts on their experiences with former movie-mogul Harvey Weinstein. One media source really can have that much impact, which is why it’s critical that we keep up with it.

NowThis

For on-the-go news, there is no better outlet than NowThis, which includes sister networks such as NowThis Politics, NowThis Her, and NowThis Entertainment. Liking their Facebook page will help keep you informed through the myriad of short and succinct videos they post regarding breaking news and viral content, which usually give you some historical background as well as key details on any given subject. The platform focuses on highlighting as many voices and perspectives as possible, which is a key component of staying woke.

[Feature Image by Unsplash]

If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com