5 Feminist Characters that Forever Defined ‘Gilmore Girls’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Every Gilmore Girls fan can relate when I say that ranking the female characters on the show is *literally* impossible. Every one of these bada** babes teaches us something about the world, and for that we are eternally gracious. As such, I would like to acknowledge that the five women listed below are only a sampling of what would otherwise be an endless list of inspiring feminist characters, including Emily Gilmore, Ms. Patty, and Sookie St. James. They are all equally amazing, and entire articles could be written about each one of these women and their contributions to the storyline alone. 

Lorelai Gilmore

The incomparable, one-of-a-kind, total badass of a mother, business woman, and entrepreneur: Lorelai Gilmore. She is a trailblazer who left home at 16 to raise her daughter, worked her butt off from being a hotel maid to running an entire inn, and later started her own business (The Dragonfly Inn) with her best friend, Sookie St. James. Oh, and in the meantime she also managed to get her degree in business from the local community college. Sounds like a girlboss to me.

Rory Gilmore

Lorelai is obviously goals, but she would not be who she is without her daughter Rory. Class valedictorian, Yale graduate, and published writer in The Atlantic and The New Yorker (amongst other publications); Rory Gilmore is obviously a force to be reckoned with. She was Editor-in-chief of the Yale Daily News and wasn’t afraid to take time off school to figure out her path, which pretty much screams independence to me.

Paris Geller

Women are constantly told to be less aggressive, silent, or passive about their beliefs and opinions. Paris Geller defies it all by being the sharpest, most articulate, and most unapologetic voice in any room she has ever walked into. She graduated from Yale with two majors, got into Harvard, Yale, the University of Pennsylvania and other completely impressive graduate schools, and later started the biggest fertility clinic in the Western hemisphere. She shatters every illusion that women should be any certain way, and is instead, the best version of herself at all times.

Mrs. Kim

Although some like to dismiss Mrs. Kim off as some sort of crazy overprotective mother, I think she’s got one of the biggest hearts and most refined work methods I’ve ever seen on television. She is completely vocal about not needing a man in her life in order to run a successful business and hold strong values, and loves her daughter more than anything in the world. Although it sometimes seems like she’s overdone it, whenever Lane needs her, there are no questions asked about whether Mrs. Kim will be there to help.

Lane Kim

Just like her mom, Lane has a drive and ambition that can’t be stopped. She is totally set on being a musician, and will do whatever it takes to get there. More so, Lane knows that nothing in life should be taken for granted, which is why she is willing to work her absolute hardest in order to be the best musician possible. She’s unafraid of her sense of self, and knows that the best way to be a great artist, friend, wife, mother, and daughter involves being true to herself.

[Feature Image by Warner Brothers]

If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com