This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

Now that Thanksgiving is officially over, Christmas is just around the corner. I have always been partial to Christmas because of all of the family traditions that go along with it, and I know that it is so much more than just December 25th. For me, it is a whole season of giving back and celebrating those who mean the most to me. It is festive music, warm cozy blankets, and hot chocolate with marshmallows every night. It is a chance to spend time with the ones who I love most. While Christmas Day is the culmination where presents are given and the more materialistic aspect is celebrated, to me it is not the most important day at all. I think we should all have more Christmas spirit in us all year round. The spirit of giving back to the community, helping a stranger, or lending a hand to someone in need is what we all need, especially in this cruel world that we are living in today.

I know that Christmas can make people bitter, because they see it as a reminder of people they have lost, or memories that can no longer be made. While I can absolutely understand why this might make it easier to cope with a hard holiday, to me it only makes it harder in the end. It is always hard for me to overcome grief and celebrate, but the happiness makes me feel closer to those I have lost. In surrounding myself with the atmosphere of Christmas and the holiday season, I can remind myself of the past holidays I shared with my grandfather, or my uncle. It is not without hardship, considering I am still grieving, but it is the best way for me to cope. So the holiday season is not just Christmas Day, where we eat a good meal and exchange gifts, but also the season itself, and the qualities it brings out within good-hearted people.

While to some it may be a panic inducing season of gift-wrapping and planning the perfect gathering, for me Christmas is a season of giving, and a season of love. I plan on spending it with those I love most, and not really giving any attention to the materialistic side.

Shyana is a freshman majoring in Journalism at SUNY New Paltz. Along with HerCampus, she is also active in Relay for Life and the Honors Program. She has an unhealthy obsession with a lot of things, including Netflix, HGTV, anything Disney, Pumpkin Spice, and country music. Her dream is to become a successful magazine writer in either fashion or lifestyle, where she is able to live by the ocean and be close to her family.