Become Successful In Your Chosen Career

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

At Her Campus New Paltz, we are *very* excited to announce that tomorrow, April 6, 2016 marks the second annual Women’s Leadership Summit here at SUNY New Paltz!

This year, the school was able to recruit over 25 successful alumnae and women thought leaders who will offer realistic career advice, provide empowerment tips, and answer individual questions on how to pursue and become successful in your chosen profession. This is the perfect opportunity for any New Paltz students who are looking to network with, and learn from empowering women who actually work in the careers that they wish to go into one day!

Whether you are a part of the School of Business, School of Education, Fine & Performing Arts, Liberal Arts & Sciences, or Science & Engineering, there will be several notable alumnae and inspiring women present to speak to all of you! Some of the amazing ladies who will be speaking at the summit include:

Sharla Carey

Vice President of the Technology Division at Goldman Sachs, who majored in Finance here at New Paltz and graduated with the class of ’91. Before joining Goldman Sachs, Carey was also a VP at Morgan Stanley, where she was the global market data controller, and also led strategic initiatives in the finance division.

Jill Berkowicz

Adjunct professor with the SUNY New Paltz Educational Leadership Program, recieved her undergrad in ’75 and graduate degree in ’79, and now serves on the board of New York ASCD as the educational consultant for their digital newsletter and the editor of their IMPACT Journal.

Vicky Jeudy

The actress who plays Janae Watson in Orange is the New Black! A theatre major here at New Paltz who graduated with the class of ’03, you won’t want to miss hearing about how Jeudy got her start in beauty pageants before earning her Bachelor of Arts degree and eventually earning a spot on the hit TV show.

Lynne D. Johnson

A former Journalism major and graduate of ’90, Johnson is now a Digital and Social Media Engagement Strategist, best known for her visionary work leading cross-functional teams to develop cutting edge content and community platforms for top media brands like Vibe, Spin, and Fast Company.

Vanessa Figueroa

Graduate of the class of ’05, Figueroa was a Biology major here at New Paltz, and now works as a Pharmaceutical Microbiologist and Independent Consultant, with over ten years of experience in pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and medical device industries.

The overview of the day is as follows:

1:00 – 1:45 pm:

Check-in: Student Union, 2nd floor – All Schools

2:00 – 3:30 pm:

Individual breakout sessions by School/ College

College of Liberal Arts & Sciences

School of Business

School of Education

School of Fine & Performing Arts 

School of Science & Engineering

3:30 – 4:30 pm:

Ice cream social and conversation with the panelists Pre-Function Space, Student Union, 2nd floor

Walk-ins will be welcome to attend if there are still seats available, but to secure your spot at the summit, be sure to register ASAP! Register and learn more about the summit and it’s speakers at www.newpaltz.edu/summit

Emma Koch

New Paltz

Emma is a fourth-year student at SUNY New Paltz, where she is majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Business. Born and raised in Upstate New York, Emma now divides her time between school, her hometown, and Houston, TX where her family currently lives. Besides school and internships, as well as being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus, Emma's other passions include fashion and beauty, health and fitness, trying new recipes, iced coffee, watching netflix with her roomie, online shopping, country music, and her sorority, Sigma Delta Tau. Her dream is to find a career in the Public Relations field where she is able to travel the world and have new experiences doing what she loves. Follow her on Instagram @emmma.koch