25 Things That Make Me Happy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

Recently, I haven’t been in a very good place. I’ve been questioning my place in my family, the university, and this world, and it’s been very hard for me to get a good grip on things. In doing this, I lost touch with myself, and could no longer hold onto my passions and interests. I became a shell of my former self. I don’t say this because I am now immediately better; I say this because I have hopefully taken the appropriate steps to get myself on the right track. I have also realized that the littlest things are the ones we should be grateful for. Life isn’t just about getting through the day, or the week, or the month. It’s about enjoying every moment, good or bad, and exploring all possibilities. There are limitless opportunities in the world, and sometimes we forget to see those opportunities in the midst of our daily mindless routines. Here is a list of 25 little things that never fail to make me happy, even on the worst of days.

1. The bright pink sunset

2. The smell of a holiday candle warming up the house

3. Long drives down a snowy road

4. Christmas music

5. Fuzzy socks and hot chocolate

6. Walking alone down a crowded street

7. The crisp cold air after a rainy night

8. Messy kitchens after nights of baking

9. Warm chocolate chip cookies

10. Laughing so hard I forget to breathe

11. Bright red faces in the cold

12. Family traditions

13. Falling asleep on the couch

14. Long hot showers at night

15. Spending hours browsing the library

16. Confidence and bright smiles

17. Disclosing secrets you never thought you’d share

18. Crazy spontaneous outings

19. Cozy outfits and lazy days

20. Taking the time to peruse an entire store

21. Finding unexpected treasures

22. Milkshakes at midnight

23. Bean Boots

24. My home away from home {222}

25. Feeling complete happiness

I’m sure there are plenty more, and I would really love to hear them. Let’s make this a challenge, to remember the good little things and not dwell on all of the negatives. Comment your favorite little things down below!

Shyana is a freshman majoring in Journalism at SUNY New Paltz. Along with HerCampus, she is also active in Relay for Life and the Honors Program. She has an unhealthy obsession with a lot of things, including Netflix, HGTV, anything Disney, Pumpkin Spice, and country music. Her dream is to become a successful magazine writer in either fashion or lifestyle, where she is able to live by the ocean and be close to her family.