PACKspacs: The Wolfpack way to Party, Travel, Meet People and Save Cash

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

You’re sitting outside on the curb again, high heels dangling in hand, and music trails from the opening and closing door of the house behind you. Taxis are never on time. You and your friends start going through your purses and pockets looking for cash to make sure you can cover the twenty dollar fee that is about to come from this two mile drive back to your place. “Liquid courage” gives you the not so bright idea that it would just be easier to drive your friend’s car down the street…

Hold it right there. If you are tired of waiting, short on cash, or even start to think about drinking and driving because you are tired of dealing with the hassle of taxis, then try out the new designated driver program for students designed by students, PACKspacs.

PACKspacs stands for “The Wolfpack Student Provided Alternative Cab Service.” PACKspacs focus is to ensure every student has a safe ride home at night by preventing drunk driving. The new program also exists to meet fellow students and allows student volunteer drivers to earn a little pocket change too!

How it works:
N.C. State students have to “Like” the group on Facebook. If you are volunteering to drive you write your number on the wall with your available hours, how far you are willing to drive and a suggested flat rate. The flat rate should be about two-three dollars per person. If you are planning on going out to party one night, check the Facebook wall before you head out for a driver that meets your available hours and take down their number for later. This is mainly a social connection to meet people, but it also helps to save money and keep students safe. Travel in packs my friends!

PACKspacs is modeled after a successful program that Appalachian State already has in place. Ryan Clodfelter and Kyle Parker, two Entrepreneur Ambassadors here at N.C. State University decided to work with the students from Appalachian State to start up the program here at N.C. State. Ryan Clodfelter, junior in biological sciences, hopes that “[from] this Facebook group, word will spread and PACKspacs will become more popular.” Clodfelter says the idea “stemmed from experience with expensive taxis” but hopes that PACKspacs accomplishes so much more than saving and making a little pocket change.

Facebook Link to PACKspacs : http://www.facebook.com/pages/PACKspacs/174893162552871?v=wall

Campus Correspondent and Founder of Her Campus NCSU - kristiedemers@hercampus.com Kristie Demers is a Senior English major at North Carolina State University. When she isn't studying or busy working on campus, Kristie enjoys running, writing, reading, photography, and painting. She volunteered as an athletic trainer for the Cheerleading team freshman year and developed an unwavering devotion for the Wolfpack. This Wisconsin natives passions include traveling, spending time with family and friends, and loving even the little things in life. Although she is down to earth and loves making people smile, Kristie is hard working and welcomes challenges. All that this happy-go-lucky girl dreams for the future is to write for a magazine and live at the beach. In the meantime, her heart lies in the bricks at N.C. State and beats with every chime of the Bell Tower!