Check Up on the Centennial Campus Construction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.
While information on what exciting new things will be coming to NCSU’s Centennial campus is quite scarce, we all know that this extension of NCSU will eventually become a “Second Main Campus” for the ever growing university. In order to find some interesting details on what’s to come for the ever growing Centennial campus, Her Campus dropped in on Barry Olson, NCSU’s Director of Business Administration, for an interview to hopefully shed a little light on the subject. 

Centennial Campus Plans for Housing

The housing options for Centennial campus will allow upper class students the ability to live in apartment style housing that is close proximity to educational resources as well as recreation resources. The rooms offered, according to Olson, will be studio styled with 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom or 4 bedroom options for students. Prices are still to be decided but are expected to be around the same rates that one would see at wolf village. 

Interior specifics are still in planning, but University Housing is taking a “hands on” approach to see what students would prefer to see in the rooms. Olson explains how this will be done: 

“…Over the course of the next year, [we will be] building what’s called a model apartment on centennial campus… [Where] we take the plans and build it to scale so students can feel it and touch it and have something to see, and most importantly help us make decisions about the interiors.”

Housing on Centennial is planned open August 2013 in 2 phases. Phase 1 will make 400 beds available to students, while Phase 2 will make 800 more beds available. Housing is slated to be completed sometime in July 2014.

Centennial Campus Plans for Recreation

Of course living on a college campus would be no fun if you couldn’t unwind and relax. The campus will offer the obvious lounges with Wi-Fi, study spaces, and multi-purpose rooms, as well as a large amount of “green space” for all your ultimate Frisbee needs. Unique to this list of things to do to entertain students are the neighboring 18-hole golf course, and good Ole Lake Raleigh and her neighboring Natural Reserve.

Given all of the things listed above, there are plenty of options for recreation, whether you enjoy hanging out with friends inside or becoming one with nature in the great outdoors. 

Also note that because all of the residence complexes on Centennial campus require you to be either an upper-classmen or Grad student, the complex will naturally allow the consumption of alcohol for all that are of age.

Centennial Campus Plans for Dining 

The current dining options offered at Centennial Campus aren’t necessarily adequate for supporting an entire housing complex, so naturally there are plans in place to build a place a dining complex on Centennial Campus. Unfortunately, Her Campus wasn’t able to get much information on the  subject, but rest assured that there will be multiple meal options and even possible late night dining options.

Centennial Campus Plans for Efficiency 

All buildings that will be built on Centennial Campus will be LEED certified according to Olson. LEED stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, and is defined her briefly by Wikipedia:

“an internationally recognized green building certification system, providing third-party verification that a building or community was designed and built using strategies intended to improve performance in metrics such as energy savings, water efficiency, CO2 emissions reduction, improved indoor environmental quality, and stewardship of resources and sensitivity to their impacts.” 

The buildings are to be LEED certified due to a commitment that NCSU signed in 2008 which required all new buildings to strive for LEED Silver at minimum (essentially level 2 out of 4 levels total). This basically means that all buildings on Centennial campus are bound to be environmentally friendly and have as little impact on the environment as possible. 

More Information on Centennial Campus 

“We will be rolling out more information as the month’s progress,” says Olson, “… But you’ll start seeing dirt moving probably as early as November.” Olson goes on to say that the ‘Groundbreaking’ (a traditional ceremony that celebrates the first day of construction for a building or other project) will probably be taking place in December. Once construction starts you will be able to find updates at the university housing website at www.ncsu.edu/housing.

Cited Sources:

http://sustainability.ncsu.edu/aboutWhile information on what exciting new things will be coming to NCSU’s Centennial campus is

quite scarce, we all know that this extension of NCSU will eventually become a “Second Main Campus”

for the ever growing university. In order to find some interesting details on what’s to come for the

ever growing Centennial campus, Her Campus dropped in on Barry Olson, NCSU’s Director of Business

Administration, for an interview to hopefully shed a little light on the subject.

Centennial Campus Plans for Housing

The housing options for Centennial campus will allow upper class students the ability to live in

apartment style housing that is close proximity to educational resources as well as recreation resources.

The rooms offered, according to Olson, will be studio styled with 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom or 4 bedroom

options for students. Prices are still to be decided but are expected to be around the same rates that

one would see at wolf village.

Interior specifics are still in planning, but University Housing is taking a “hands on” approach to

see what students would prefer to see in the rooms. Olson explains how this will be done:

“…Over the course of the next year, [we will be] building what’s called a model apartment on

centennial campus… [Where] we take the plans and build it to scale so students can feel it and

touch it and have something to see, and most importantly help us make decisions about the

interiors.”

Housing on Centennial is planned open August 2013 in 2 phases. Phase 1 will make 400 beds available to

students, while Phase 2 will make 800 more beds available. Housing is slated to be completed sometime

in July 2014.

BY: Dequan Powell
ARTICLE TYPE: News
Article Title: Centennial campus construction details

Centennial Campus Plans for Recreation

Of course living on a college campus would be no fun if you couldn’t unwind and relax. The

campus will offer the obvious lounges with Wi-Fi, study spaces, and multi-purpose rooms, as well as a

large amount of “green space” for all your ultimate Frisbee needs. Unique to this list of things to do to

entertain students are the neighboring 18-hole golf course, and good Ole Lake Raleigh and her

neighboring Natural Reserve.

Given all of the things listed above, there are plenty of options for recreation, whether you

enjoy hanging out with friends inside or becoming one with nature in the great outdoors.

Also note that because all of the residence complexes on Centennial campus require you to be

either an upper-classmen or Grad student, the complex will naturally allow the consumption of alcohol

for all that are of age.

Centennial Campus Plans for Dining

The current dining options offered at Centennial Campus aren’t necessarily adequate for

supporting an entire housing complex, so naturally there are plans in place to build a place a dining

complex on Centennial Campus. Unfortunately, Her Campus wasn’t able to get much information on the

subject, but rest assured that there will be multiple meal options and even possible late night dining

options.

BY: Dequan Powell
ARTICLE TYPE: News

Centennial Campus Plans for Efficiency

All buildings that will be built on Centennial Campus will be LEED certified according to Olson.

LEED stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, and is defined her briefly by Wikipedia:

“an internationally recognized green building certification system, providing third-party

verification that a building or community was designed and built using strategies intended

to improve performance in metrics such as energy savings, water efficiency, CO2 emissions

reduction, improved indoor environmental quality, and stewardship of resources and sensitivity

to their impacts.”

The buildings are to be LEED certified due to a commitment that NCSU signed in 2008 which

required all new buildings to strive for LEED Silver at minimum (essentially level 2 out of 4 levels total).

This basically means that all buildings on Centennial campus are bound to be environmentally friendly

and have as little impact on the environment as possible.

More Information on Centennial Campus

“We will be rolling out more information as the month’s progress,” says Olson,”… But you’ll start

seeing dirt moving probably as early as November.” Olson goes on to say that the ‘Groundbreaking’ (a

traditional ceremony that celebrates the first day of construction for a building or other project) will

probably be taking place in December.

Once construction starts you will be able to find updates at the university housing website at

BY: Dequan Powell
ARTICLE TYPE: News

Cited Sources

Campus Correspondent and Founder of Her Campus NCSU - kristiedemers@hercampus.com Kristie Demers is a Senior English major at North Carolina State University. When she isn't studying or busy working on campus, Kristie enjoys running, writing, reading, photography, and painting. She volunteered as an athletic trainer for the Cheerleading team freshman year and developed an unwavering devotion for the Wolfpack. This Wisconsin natives passions include traveling, spending time with family and friends, and loving even the little things in life. Although she is down to earth and loves making people smile, Kristie is hard working and welcomes challenges. All that this happy-go-lucky girl dreams for the future is to write for a magazine and live at the beach. In the meantime, her heart lies in the bricks at N.C. State and beats with every chime of the Bell Tower!