Campus Celebrity: President Barack Obama!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

President Barack Obama visited NC State University on Wednesday September 14th, 2011, to discuss the American Jobs Act. While the eager crowd of just under 10,000 people jam packed in Reynolds Coliseum waited for his arrival, the Power Sound of the South played music and the wave broke out in the stands. 

Obama’s speech was focused on getting support for his American Jobs Act.  He continually asked any and all listeners to contact congress, by any means possible, and push for the bill to be passed. “We’ve got to tell congress to do their part,” Obama said. The American Jobs Act, found on www.whitehouse.gov, would create jobs in the middle class by cutting taxes, giving the go-ahead to infrastructure improvement plans, as well as a package of tax credits.

He rejected the fact that this bill would help his position for the upcoming election, or that it favored a specific political party, instead he said “it’s about giving Americans a win.”  According to Obama, the bill would help 170,000 small business owners in North Carolina alone. 

President Obama focused on the fact that hundreds of thousands of people were looking for work, while there are improvements to be made and work to be done. “What’s congress waiting for?” Obama asked. All we need is to bridge the gap. The American Jobs Act does just that. “We are tougher than the hand we’ve been dealt. We’re Americans,” he said. We have the ability to find an applicable solution, we just need the support to put it in action. 

Campus Correspondent and Founder of Her Campus NCSU - kristiedemers@hercampus.com Kristie Demers is a Senior English major at North Carolina State University. When she isn't studying or busy working on campus, Kristie enjoys running, writing, reading, photography, and painting. She volunteered as an athletic trainer for the Cheerleading team freshman year and developed an unwavering devotion for the Wolfpack. This Wisconsin natives passions include traveling, spending time with family and friends, and loving even the little things in life. Although she is down to earth and loves making people smile, Kristie is hard working and welcomes challenges. All that this happy-go-lucky girl dreams for the future is to write for a magazine and live at the beach. In the meantime, her heart lies in the bricks at N.C. State and beats with every chime of the Bell Tower!