This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

You saw him campaigning and parading his way through the elections, you saw him win the hearts of the sophomore class, and now you get to see him give it all or nothing. Mr. Sophomore Derek J. Edwards is ready to make this is a memorable sign.  

Mr. Edwards, what does being “Mr. Sophomore” mean to you?

Mr. Sophomore a.k.a Sophomore class King means a lot to me, as well as the university. Since arriving to the #1 public HBCU in the nation on August 2015, I knew I wanted to be and create an influence. Outside of being a male representative, servant, and providing my implementation of community service it’s all about having fun and passing down that same spark and inspiration that someone bestowed upon me.

What do you have planned for this academic school year?

This academic school year is going to have a new spin of Aggie Pride! As Sophomore Class King and with the 2016-2017 Sophomore Class E-board we will serve the students with a year of excitement and no limits! Starting this Fall, I will be supporting and offering local community volunteering projects to NCAT19 starting with the “Greensboro Big Sweep”! Following that, the council and I have Career Readiness To Breast Cancer and Domestic Violence! Follow our Social Media Pages to stay tuned! @ncatsga2019

What advice would you give to your past self to prepare for this school year?

If I had one conversation to give to my past self, I would give Derek these three major keys:

1. Stay focused and always believe in yourself!  At the end of the day as a man nobody will have your back but yourself.

2. Don’t be afraid to get out your comfort zone!

3. Loyalty is more valuable than gold.

I am Alexis Hooper, President of the North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University chapter of Her Campus.
Hi everyone! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University who should be majoring in Weddings, but is actually a Journalism & Mass Communications student with a concentration in Multimedia. Originally I am from Woodbridge, Virginia, which is about 30 minutes south of our nation’s capital. I have lived here all my life, but I’m not afraid to branch out and explore the world. This past summer I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia to engage and immerse myself in Australian culture. The experience was phenomenal and I’m already counting down the days until I can return that beautiful country. Check out my Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.