Healthy Eating Hacks That Every College Student Needs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

It is reasonable to say that trying to make healthier eating choices in college is quite the challenge since junk food is convenient, inexpensive, and tastes good. No worries girl, these healthy eating hacks will help you resist your junk food cravings.

Breakfast

Breakfast is considered one of the most important meals of the day. However, due to busy class schedules, college students often skip breakfast altogether to either make it to class on time or because they are too tired to prep a fulfilling meal early in the morning.

Investing in an inexpensive smoothie blender is a great hack in making sure that you get some form of breakfast in your system. By blending your fruit or veggie mix and freezing it the night before, it is easy to grab and go if you are in a rush for that 8 A.M. class. For the oatmeal lovers out there, investing in a thermos to keep your oatmeal hot as you walk to class is the ideal power breakfast for the early birds.

For those students who might have more time on their hands in the morning due to a late start in their class schedules, breakfast is just as important! A simple trip to the cafe to grab a bagel and banana can turn into the perfect nutritious meal. Same with preparing breakfast at the convenience of the microwave in your dorm. You can easily make an omelet in a mug by dicing some of your favorite veggies such as spinach and tomatoes and beating it with an egg or egg whites before microwaving.

Snack

It is time to lay back from the potato chips and push away sugary snacks such as Pop Tarts. There is a plethora of healthier substitutions when it comes to snacking in between your main meals.

Building your own trail mix for example is an easy snack to prepare. The next time that you make a trip to the cafe, be sure to grab portions of things like raisins, granola, nuts and pretzels to construct a personalize trail mix. This snack option is inexpensive and delicious because it is made to your liking. Another nutritious snack that is full of protein is sliced apples and peanut butter. It is best to go ahead and have your snacks prepared for the week instead of trying to put them together in a short time frame. It is much easier to have your snacks conveniently ready to grab quickly when you are rushing to class or know that you are going to have a busy day.

Lunch

When it comes to lunch, salads and sandwiches are the most common go to meal. Spinach is a dorm staple for healthy meals. This is an excellent substitute for shredded lettuce. When you are in the mood for a salad, try spinach, pre-cooked protein, like chicken or shrimp, and chopped veggies like baby bell peppers. When you make your deli sandwiches, consider replacing your mayonnaise with a pesto spread. Not only is it less fattening than mayonnaise, it tastes amazing!

Dinner

It is completely okay to ditch the Easy Mac and the cafe’s burgers and French fries for a more colorful and nutritious meal for dinner. When it comes to dinner time, most college students tend to gravitate towards whatever they can get their hands on now. In most cases, that meal is typically Ramen Noodles. Although many might feel as though Ramen Noodles are considerably unhealthy, it is really the seasoning packets that comes with the noodles that overflows your ramen with an unreasonable amount of sodium. Instead, consider putting together your own ramen without the sodium filled packets. Whether it is using pesto and pre-cooked shrimp or pre-cooked vegetables like carrots or broccoli.

Overall healthy eating while in college may be challenging, but the end results of a healthier lifestyle is totally worth it. The possibilities with healthy foods are endless and completely up to you. It is just a matter of being discipline about your eating habits.

Healthy eating loves!

Chandler is a professional Target shopper from Charlotte, North Carolina. Chandler Colclough is also a senior Journalism and Mass Communication student with a concentration in Multimedia Journalism. As a well-rounded journalist, Chandler is ambitious in reaching her career goal as CEO of her own lifestyle magazine publication. She will graduate with a bachelor’s degree in Journalism and Mass Communication with a concentration in Multimedia Journalism at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University in May two-thousand and twenty. In her free time, Chandler enjoys watching Buzzfeed's Tasty food videos and buying candles that remind her of the Fall and Winter.
Hi everyone! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University who should be majoring in Weddings, but is actually a Journalism & Mass Communications student with a concentration in Multimedia. Originally I am from Woodbridge, Virginia, which is about 30 minutes south of our nation’s capital. I have lived here all my life, but I’m not afraid to branch out and explore the world. This past summer I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia to engage and immerse myself in Australian culture. The experience was phenomenal and I’m already counting down the days until I can return that beautiful country. Check out my Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.