This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

I remember when I was about 8 years old and I was having constant knee pain for a couple weeks. I finally told my mom about it, hoping she could fix my knee. When I told her about it, she said it was just “growing pains,” that it was just pain due to my body growing. I had always heard of the cliche phrase, but never thought it was actually real or could apply to me.

Thirteen years later and my growing pains are more mental than physical. “Growing pains” are something we should all get used to for the rest of our lives. Our minds should never stop growing. Our minds are the strongest element a anyone can obtain. Growing pains may be in terms of maturing, it may be in terms of learning to love and accept yourself, or it may even be when knowing to let someone go out of your life.

Growing pains may also apply to someone bettering their overall health, getting into the gym and eating more healthier foods. Mental health are physical health go hand in hand, so if you’re going to improve one you need to improve the other. Growing pains could mean the pain of getting older. I’ll be 22 years old in April, and besides being able to buy wine and sit at the bar, there hasn’t been much excitement about getting older. I understand now more than ever what the phrase “stay a kid as long as you can” truly means. Paying bills and going to work, living paycheck to paycheck is not for me.

I always say, “if you’re comfortable in life, you’re not growing.” Growing pains are a lifelong process. Regardless if someone is 13 or 73, the mind, body and soul will forever be growing, getting stronger and wiser with every year that passes by. Embrace the growth and trust in your journey.

Stay beautiful ladies!

Hi everyone! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University who should be majoring in Weddings, but is actually a Journalism & Mass Communications student with a concentration in Multimedia. Originally I am from Woodbridge, Virginia, which is about 30 minutes south of our nation’s capital. I have lived here all my life, but I’m not afraid to branch out and explore the world. This past summer I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia to engage and immerse myself in Australian culture. The experience was phenomenal and I’m already counting down the days until I can return that beautiful country. Check out my Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.