Are You Trusting Your Journey?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

Colby Cornell is a senior marketing student from Clinton, NC. He is also the proud founder of the non-profit organization, Trust Your Journey.

1. What is Trust Your Journey?

Trust Your Journey is a non-profit organization that focuses on raising awareness for mental health, personal development, and travel in the black community.

2. What is your reason for starting this organization?

My reason for this organization started after I attempted suicide. After eight months of weekly counseling, I looked at the story of Harriet Tubman and saw how she not only escaped slavery but turned around to help others. I felt I could do the same.

3. When you feel discouraged or stressed, what do you do to lift up your spirits?

I confide in my close friends and family who know my story fully. They give critical advice but it’s constructive in building me as a young man.

4. How do you wish to impact the world?

My hope is to empower, invigorate, and inspire a generation of people who help break stigmas related to mental health.

5. Who inspires you?

Sean Diddy Combs would be my greatest inspiration.

6. What is your favorite quote?

“God’s Grace is Sufficient.”

7. What’s your favorite and least favorite qualities about yourself?

My favorite quality is my determination towards tasks. My least favorite is my difficulty at letting go.

8. What are three things you can’t live without?

I can’t live without God, my family, and most of all my purpose. It’s what makes my life have meaning.

9. What is something many people don’t know about you?

I still don’t have it all together. I’m not only recovering from depression or suicide attempts, but sexual abuse as a child and anxiety. ADD played a huge rule in generational curses I inherited. It isn’t easy. But as my therapist calls it, I’m a “wounded healer.” I’ve just found a way to take my pain and bring others joy.

10. If you could give the younger you any piece of advice, what would it be?

If I could speak to the younger me I would tell him slow down. Enjoy the moment and bask in the beauty that is life because we all are alive but we all must die. Don’t just survive Colby… Live.

Read, write, and love!
Hi everyone! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University who should be majoring in Weddings, but is actually a Journalism & Mass Communications student with a concentration in Multimedia. Originally I am from Woodbridge, Virginia, which is about 30 minutes south of our nation’s capital. I have lived here all my life, but I’m not afraid to branch out and explore the world. This past summer I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia to engage and immerse myself in Australian culture. The experience was phenomenal and I’m already counting down the days until I can return that beautiful country. Check out my Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.