8 Ways to End Procrastination

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

“I’ll do it later” … “I’ll start after I take a nap” … “One more episode, then I’ll do it.”

These were my usual excuses to avoid doing homework or studying. I would wait til the last minute to turn in an assignment or to look over my notes, which only stressed me out and made me want to give up. This semester, I’ve improved my work habits and strengthened my focus by breaking the cycle of procrastination. With finals in full swing, here are eight ways to stop procrastinating so that you can get all your work out the way and enjoy a peaceful sleep. You deserve it.

1. Make a list of what you have to complete/study

We tend to procrastinate because our work is overwhelming. Break up your assignments by listing your workload and completing them one by one. Set a goal and a deadline to accomplish that goal. Focus on one thing at a time to avoid multi-tasking, this only brings on more stress.

1. Be realistic

If you’re not a morning person, don’t expect yourself to get up an hour early to start the homework you’ve been putting off for days. Create a schedule and set a time that’s best for you to do sit down and work on your assignments.

1. Change your environment

Different environments have a different impact on your productivity. If your dorm is too loud or you can’t focus, go to the library or a quiet study room. For me, I have to be at a table or desk in order to focus. It’s nearly impossible to do homework or study when I’m near my bed. Most people (me) tend to work more efficiently when surrounded by people who are studying/working.

1. Find a study buddy

Your study buddy should be someone who is also focused on their studies. This way you can hold eachother accountable for getting work done. It also helps that when one of you gets tempted to go back into procrastinating, the other can encourage you stay on track.

1. Bargain with yourself

Tell yourself, “If I do this now, I can relax later” or “If I finish this assignment tonight, it’ll be one less thing I’ll have to do tomorrow.” This will help you push through your workload.

1. Avoid distractions

Our phones are a major factor in distraction and procrastinating. It’s almost second nature to grab your phone and scroll through social media, and before you know it you’ve wasted an hour. Or the group message is blowing up and now you’re too interested in the tea. Put your phone on “Don’t Disturb” or move it away from you. If you need music while working, create a study playlist so you’re not constantly searching for a new song. Try listening to music without lyrics as well, they help you focus.

1. Give yourself a pep talk

At the end of the day, you are your number fan! Encourage yourself! Self-affirmation is a great way to spark motivation and relieve stress.

1. JUST DO IT

The sooner it’s done, the sooner you can live your life! If you put in the effort and prioritize your work, nothing is going to get completed. YOU CAN DO IT!

Born and raised in Charleston, South Carolina, Megan is currently a senior at North Carolina A&T State University. She is an English major with a concentration in creative writing, and also minoring in multimedia journalism. This is her third year on the Her Campus NCAT editorial staff.
Hi everyone! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University who should be majoring in Weddings, but is actually a Journalism & Mass Communications student with a concentration in Multimedia. Originally I am from Woodbridge, Virginia, which is about 30 minutes south of our nation’s capital. I have lived here all my life, but I’m not afraid to branch out and explore the world. This past summer I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia to engage and immerse myself in Australian culture. The experience was phenomenal and I’m already counting down the days until I can return that beautiful country. Check out my Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.