This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

As the beautiful brown queen’s that we are, it’s imperative that you glow from head to toe and keep that melanin poppin! Here are 3 DIY scrubs that are super easy to make, with in-expensive ingredients you might already have in your dorm or that are easy to find on campus. These are guaranteed to have your skin glowing and radiant for “Pop-Out Season.”

What you will need:

• Sugar

Sugar is a natural humectant, meaning it draws moisture from the air into the skin. It also is a good exfoliant, for breaking down and removing dead skin cells to reveal glowing skin. Helps thicken scrubs and absorb excess liquid added to scrubs.

• Coffee

On top of being a great exfoliant it also helps prevent dry skin. When used on the body it can help eliminate cellulite and stretchmarks. It also helps to tighten and brighten dull skin. Makes a really coarse scrub for removing multiple layers of dead skin.

• Sea Salt

Sea sea is a great exfoliant for those with acne prone skin. It deeply cleans the skin, balances oil, and kills acne causing bacteria. Great in body scrubs, for those who suffer from body acne.

• Coconut oil

Awesome moisturizer for dry and acne prone skin. It also deep cleans and serves as a barrier to protect the skin from free radicals and the sun. Can be added to any scrub recipe for those who need extra moisture.

• Honey

A holy grail DIY skin care ingredient! Honey is proven to help clear acne and keep the skin moisturized and glowing. It also helps our scrubs stick together, making them last longer and easier to use.

• Lemon

Lemon helps brighten the skin by removing dark spots and blackheads. Also helps tighten saggy skin and helps loosen up thick scrubs. (You can ask for a small container of lemon wedges at the McAllisters on campus.)

• Containers to store your scrubs (you can grab some condiment containers from the dome, for the free).

Lemon Scrub 

• Good for removing dead skin off the lips, while plumping and softening them. Can also be used on the face to tighten and brighten the skin.

Ingredients:

Sugar

Honey

Lemon wedges

1. Add 2 tbsp of sugar to 1 tbsp of honey and mix together until a thick paste forms

2. Take a wedge of lemon and squeeze the juice into the mixture and mix well

3. Massage into skin with your fingers and let sit for 3-5 mins

4. Wipe off with a warm water, and be sure scrub off extra  dry skin

5. Follow up with your favorite moisturizer

Sweet Sea Salt Scrub 

• Great for those with acne prone skin. Helps clear face and body acne without drying out your skin, leaving you with a refreshing glow.

Ingredients

Sea salt

Coconut oil

Honey

1. Add 2 tbsp of fine grain sea salt to 1 tsp of coconut oil and mix well

2. Add 1 tbsp of honey to the mixture and mix until full combined

3. Apply this scrub to dry skin and massage in circular motions

4. Rinse with warm water and repeat on damp skin

5. Pat skin dry and follow up with your favorite moisturizer

360 Coffee Scrub 

• Awesome to scrub down head to toe. Use on the face and body for a beautiful 360 glow!

Ingredients

Coffee

Sugar

Coconut oil

Lemon

Honey

1. Add ¼ cup of coffee to ¼ cup of coconut oil

2. Add ½ cup of sugar to the mixture as well as 2 generous tbsp of honey and mix well

3. Mix in the juice of 3 lemon wedges

4. Apply to dry skin and massage in circular motions

5. Allow to sit for 5-8 mins before rinsing it off

6. Follow up with your favorite moisturizer or oil

The cool thing about all 3 of these scrubs in that they can all be used on the lips, face, and body. Try one that you think will work best for your skin type or try them all and see which one works best for you. Feel free to alter measurements to get the amount and consistency you would like and play around with different combinations. You never know what amazing results you might get. You don’t have to spend a ton of money or use a bunch of different products to get beautiful glowing skin.

Good Luck! and share your results with us!

@HerCampusNCAT on Twitter and Instagram

#NCAT Artist, Writer, Non-Stop learner.
Hi everyone! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University who should be majoring in Weddings, but is actually a Journalism & Mass Communications student with a concentration in Multimedia. Originally I am from Woodbridge, Virginia, which is about 30 minutes south of our nation’s capital. I have lived here all my life, but I’m not afraid to branch out and explore the world. This past summer I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia to engage and immerse myself in Australian culture. The experience was phenomenal and I’m already counting down the days until I can return that beautiful country. Check out my Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.