This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

Nobody wants to start a vacation stressed out. The whole point of a vacation is to get away from whatever problems you are, dealing with so you can just relax. Here are some helpful tips to ensure you have a stress free start to your vacation.

Budget money beforehand

-It is so important to budget your money before hand. Figure out generally how much you will be spending on food, souvenirs and whatever else you may be doing. If this is a trip you are planning far in advance, maybe take a certain amount of money out from each paycheck to save for your trip. Knowing you have this money set aside specifically for your trip will definitely make you feel better about spending it.

Plan general days of vacation

-If your a planner like me, you will want to know what each day of the vacation is going to hold. Whether it is just laying out by the pool and beach or picking out the days to go explore the town or go on a tour, some of these things can be chosen beforehand to help you get ready for your trip. Knowing these things will allow you to pack accordingly based on what you were doing and will give you a more structured idea of what will happen when you are on your trip.

Familiarize yourself with the area

-Familiarizing yourself with the area in which you are staying will definitely help settle any nerves you might have about being somewhere new. While it is extremely exciting to travel somewhere for the first time, it can also be nerve wracking and stressful not being aware of the surroundings. So whether you are traveling across the world to a different country or going to a new place within your home country, familiarizing yourself with your surrounding could never hurt. Simple things like finding the best food places, finding cool spots to go, figuring out the best way to get transportation, and reading reviews about what others have to say about the area can make your trip a little less stressful.

Pack a couple days before

-This is something we all say we will do but end up waiting to do until 12:00 am the night before our flight. It is no lie packing can be stressful and we all usually tend to overpack but if you know what you’re going to be doing while you’re on vacation each day you are able to pack accordingly. This will allow you to cut down on the bulky shoes or take out a couple pairs of shorts you didn’t really need.

Make sure to have your documents in a safe place

-This is crucial especially if you are going out of the country. It would be a nightmare getting to the airport about to check your bags and then realizing you forgot your passport or ID. Your ID is something you should always have on you so whether it stays in a small wallet or in a purse, make sure to keep it with you. If leading up to your vacation you’re afraid you are going to lose or forget your passport I suggest to keep it on a safe place (write down where you put it if you think you are going to forget) and set a reminder for your phone the day before the trip to make sure you have it. If you already know what bag you will be taking on as a carry on, you can always put your passport in a safe zipper in there until the trip and again make sure you set a reminder to help you out the day before to make sure everything is in order!

Rebecca Bodtmann  Manhattanville College '19