clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Senior Spotlight : Anna Scherer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

Anna Scherer is a senior double majoring in Musical Theater and Communication Studies from Troy, New York. When I got the opportunity to sit down with Anna, I asked her why she chose two different fields of study as her majors. She told me, “I chose to do a BFA in musical theater because I have been performing since I was 9 years old. When I graduated high school, I couldn’t see myself doing anything else. I started taking communications classes my sophomore year and realized that it was something I would like to pursue because the degree covers so much and allows for many different career paths. When the opportunity to complete both degrees in four years was presented to me, I jumped on board.” This summer Anna interned with Canal Corporation under the New York Power Authority. This gave her the opportunity to travel to different areas in New York state and be a part of the events that this corporation did. She got the chance to work with the marketing director of the company and the ability to do something different every day. This gave her insight on how the canals worked as well as a taste of what the communications field would be like. Since sophomore year, Anna has been an RA in Spellman Hall. During my talk with her, she told me a little about her decision to become one. “I chose to be an RA for the opportunity to help people, as well as to become more involved on campus. Over the past 3 years of working in Spellman, I have been able to meet just about every student on campus. I also had the unique experience of watching my own residents grow each and every year. I am so proud of all the students I have called my residents.” Anna also mentions that her Resident Life staff has been so helpful throughout her college experience at Manhattanville. “As a whole the staff is incredible, but there is nothing like the family that is found in Spellman Hall.” Anna found the help in other ways from the musical theater department chairs Professor Mark Cherry and Professor Beverly Meyer. Anna tells me, “They have helped me grow so much in my four years, and have smiled and cried and laughed with me (even when I dropped Professor Cherry’s birthday cake on the ground).” Anna has truly had an eventful four years at Manhattanville to say the least. When asked about what she would take into the real world from Mville, Anna said, “There are so many things! From Res life, I have learned how to stay patient with people and have grown to understand other people’s positions and emotions. From communications, I have learned to stay organized trying to keep all the balls in the air. Overall, I have learned the importance of being kind. A little bit of happiness goes a long way.”

Mville Class of '18 Musical Theater Major, American Studies Minor.
Student at Manhattanville College, right outside of New York City! Editor at the Mville chapter I am majoring in Marketing and Communications with a minor in Sociology, and look forward to working either in the music business, or at a non-profit organization! I am an advocate for those who suffer from mental illness, such as anxiety, suicidal thoughts, depression, and self harm. I'm a crafter, dreamer, and traveler. I believe everyone has a story that's just waiting to be told..