timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Don’t Panic, But You’re 20

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

When I turned 20, my entire life flashed before my eyes. I know I can’t be the only person who started to plan out their life when they were younger. I imagined myself engaged by 25, married by 30 and at least one kid by 32. Ha, funny right? I thought everything I wanted to happen would happen when I wanted it to. However, I learned over there last couple of years that your future is fluid and you never know what to expect in life. Here I am now 22, single, and loving life. My 20 year-old moment of panic is over now, but here are some important reminders for all of you new 20 year-olds.

Be Open

Don’t think that you need to accomplish something at a specific age. Don’t think you need to be married by 30 or you have to be super successful by 25. I can tell you right now that nothing will go as planned. Yes, you can set goals for yourself and work towards them, but your age should not be a marking point for when something eventful must happen. Live life day by day and the most unexpected and wonderful events will happen.

Appreciate Your Youth

I’ve heard so many people say that your 20’s are “the best times of your life” and I have to agree. It’s a chance for you to be young, explore, and truly become who you are. It’s a time where you’re learning to live life and that making mistakes will be okay. Don’t rush to grow up and take on the heavy responsibilities that come with other common life objectives.

Keep Learning & Have Fun

You can always keep learning. While your college days may be coming to an end and you fear not being as involved as you were, you can still be just as involved. You can take a workshop on acting or photography. You can still meet new people and have fun late nights. Just because you’re reaching the age in your life where the real world is kicking in doesn’t mean you need to die.

Everything Will Be Okay

The most important thing to remember is that everything happens for a reason. Everything will come together and while it may come later in life or a day from now, you will be okay. You will survive, power through and still live. Just remember that you have an entire life ahead of you and a chance everyday to better yourself and to reach your full potential. 

Shanice Peters is a Senior at Manhattanville College. She is from Brooklyn, NY. She's a Creative Writing major with a minor in Marketing and Communications. In her free time she enjoys making YouTube videos about fashion and beauty, writing on her personal blog and watching Gossip Girl. She's excited to be the Campus Correspondent for Manhattanville and hopes to engage students in her last year.