This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

Demian by famed author Hermann Hesse (who also notoriously wrote the classic Siddhartha) is a coming of age novel that is told by the protagonist of the novel, a young boy by the name of Emil Sinclair, in early 1900s Germany. Demian was published in 1919 in Germany, and  later was translated and published in English in 1923. Fun fact, Hermann Hesse did not originally publish the book under his name, he used his protagonist and narrator’s name, Emil Sinclair. It was not until much later after the book was published that Hesse was revealed to be the writer.

This novel is not yet deemed a classic, though in my opinion it rightly should be. Demian is a beautifully written narrative that takes into account what exactly is life. Throughout the novel, Sinclair is described as being torn between two worlds, the world of illusion and the real world or what he describes as the spiritual truth.

Sinclair tells his life story of coming of age through spiritual, religious, sexuality, and friendship. Mainly all influenced by his friend Max Demian, who the novel is named after. Demian is Sinclair’s friend but could also be described as his mentor to spiritual realization. Demian’s mother Frau Eva becomes Sinclair’s ideal characteristics of life. While Sinclair’s own parents represent the safety that he eventually rebels against.

Demian, for me, was the type of novel that I did not want to put down. It is a quick and easy read, it is less than 200 pages long and it just flows so effortlessly. It the type of book that causes the reader to reflect and think. Hesse is a wondrous writer that has that effect on his readers, he writes such intelligent and deep thoughts. By the end of the novel I remember sitting there practically rethinking my entire existence.

Demian is the perfect read for anyone interested in spiritual or psychological novels, as these are the two main themes of the novel. But anyone would enjoy this novel. Sinclair is a relatable character in he describes growing up and questioning everything, until he truly finds who he is. It is truly a work of genius.

I am a freshmen at manhattanville college currently majoring in English literature in the hopes of becoming a publisher one day.
Student at Manhattanville College, right outside of New York City! Editor at the Mville chapter I am majoring in Marketing and Communications with a minor in Sociology, and look forward to working either in the music business, or at a non-profit organization! I am an advocate for those who suffer from mental illness, such as anxiety, suicidal thoughts, depression, and self harm. I'm a crafter, dreamer, and traveler. I believe everyone has a story that's just waiting to be told..