5 Ways to Help Someone With Breast Cancer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

Cancer is a tough and strenuous war with numerous of battles both won and lost. Breast cancer is a common type of cancer among both men and women in the United States. Breast cancer is a type of cancer that forms within the cells of the breasts, and has over 200,000 cases in the United States alone. Just like any other cancer, breast cancer requires medical attention that may involve chemotherapy, radiation, and/or surgery. It takes a lot of effort and patience to overcome it, and not only does it affect the person who has fallen ill, but to the loved ones surrounding them. During a time when a loved one has become diagnosed with breast cancer they need the of support  their friends and family to help them battle through it, but some may find it hard to provide the support they need. Common stigmas around people battling cancer is that they are fragile, and people tend to become nervous on how to treat them. Since October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month here are five tips on ways to help a loved one who is battling breast cancer.

#1 Be Supportive

Support whatever decision the loved one makes, after all it is their body and they know what’s best for them. Some cancer patients do not wish to seek chemotherapy and other medical substitutes, and while it may be a stance that is hard to agree with, do not force opinions and thoughts on them. The loved one is going to have to make difficult decisions during this time and they will need your support to go through with them. While a loved one explains their decision it may seem like they are asking for advice, and they may very well be, but don’t be afraid if you don’t have the answer to it; After all you may not be a medical expert. Let the loved one tell you their different ideas and decisions and support them with in whatever they choose.

#2 Do Research

Most people know the basics of breast cancer but if a loved one is diagnosed with this type of cancer it may be helpful to do more intense research on the topic: Educating yourself on the symptoms and how it will affect the body overall. Research the symptoms of how chemotherapy will possibly affect them and different types of medication/treatment that they can possibly choose from. The loved one may be overwhelmed when learning they have cancer so it will be helpful for them to have someone they can turn to for help and advice.

#3 Gifts

It is hard battling cancer, cheer your loved one up with thoughtful and fun gifts. Provide them with books/magazines/coloring books/etc to help them cope with their time in the hospital. Or give them a stuffed animal of their favorite animal or a new cd by their favorite band, it will put a smile on their face after a long day. Even helping them clean their home will take a small task off of their shoulders. But also remember that while types of food is a good source of comfort they may have to stick to a diet, or they may not feel hungry due to the symptoms of nausea and vomiting from treatment. So it may be wise to consult the loved one before giving them the gift of food.

#4 Set up fundraisers

Medical bills will begin to pile up and the cost is expensive. Some medical plans may not cover everything the loved one will need to get. Being financially strapped can be stressful and add more to their plate than they can handle. Setting up fundraisers or even a GoFundMe account will help. Set up a walk to raise money and ask local stores if they would be willing to sponsor the walk. It’s just one way to raise money while also providing the loved one with a fun and social time. Put up flyers around town in shops and on walls outside to spread the word. Also tell the rest of your friends and family to come out and support your loved one.

#5 Be there for them even after treatment

When a loved one is cleared of having any signs of cancer, it’s a joyous and momentous occasion, it marks the end of a long and tedious journey. But there will still be carnage left over. It may take the loved one a bit of time to get back into their old routine and adjust to life free of cancer once again. They may also have scares where it may seem like the cancer came back. Continue to be there for them through it all. They will forever appreciate everything that you have done for them.

I am a freshmen at manhattanville college currently majoring in English literature in the hopes of becoming a publisher one day.
Student at Manhattanville College, right outside of New York City! Editor at the Mville chapter I am majoring in Marketing and Communications with a minor in Sociology, and look forward to working either in the music business, or at a non-profit organization! I am an advocate for those who suffer from mental illness, such as anxiety, suicidal thoughts, depression, and self harm. I'm a crafter, dreamer, and traveler. I believe everyone has a story that's just waiting to be told..