This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

Are you thinking of studying abroad? Whether for a semester, year, or just a few weeks, here are a few tips and pieces of advice to keep in mind before you go or while you are away!

1.     Pack light

Luggage fees are on the horizon…

This cannot be overemphasized. You will 100% come back home with more things than you left with, so pack with that in mind! Otherwise, you’ll be scrambling to figure out how you’re going to get everything home with you! Also, do not underestimate the power of rolling your clothes, it will make a huge difference and you will be shocked at how much more space you will free up in your suitcase, for more stuff!

2. Bring extra money (lots)

If you are part of a study abroad program through an organization or a school, you are most likely set in terms of meal plans, housing, transportation, etc. However, if you are part of a direct exchange, as I was, you are going to be held accountable for paying for things like rent and food, along with many other fees and expenses that come with attending school and living in another country for a long period of time. So make sure you bring enough money with you in case of surprise expenses, because you will be figuring all of that out on your own. (So, direct exchange students are the true heroes.)

3. Buy data/SIM card

If you’re going to be abroad for more than a few weeks, you should invest in buying a SIM card for your phone. With the new SIM card come all sorts of possible mobile plans, but you will get the most out of using data. If you download Whats App you can call, video or text anyone and it runs on wifi or data, so you don’t need to worry about international fees for minutes or texts. For example, if you are in France, buy a SIM card from FREE. They have an option for 19.99 euros of 100G of data (essentially unlimited, you won’t run out) and unlimited international calls, so honestly, with them, you are set regardless of what you prefer to use; that is by far the best deal around there. Also, if you plan on traveling outside of the country you are studying in  (which you should) FREE works internationally as well, so you’re set! Make sure you take into account where and how you will need your phone to work before purchasing anything. ALSO, make sure you buy a renewable plan that you can cancel before you leave, because otherwise if you pay for a month the SIM card will deactivate after a month and you will have to buy another one, the catch with that is that each SIM card has a different phone number, so if you do that you will have many different numbers.

4. Re-wear clothes

Honestly, most of us can admit that we are spoiled with the amount of laundry we get to do. Once abroad, you will most likely have to pay for laundry, and it is not cheap. For myself, doing a full load of laundry and drying everything thoroughly would result in about $10 each time. That is not affordable by any means. So, learn to re-wear certain items of clothing like sweaters and pants, and re-using outfits 2 or 3 times before washing them. While abroad you really learn that clothes don’t need to be washed unless they really are “dirty”, and that doesn’t really happen after one wear. There may come times when you will even resort to just washing small articles of clothing in your sink to avoid paying an unnecessary amount of money for a tiny load of laundry. Do what you have to do.

5. Travel

While you are abroad, especially if in Europe, take the opportunity to travel and see as many countries as you can. It is so much cheaper and more accessible.  You can hop on a train or bus, or take a short flight anywhere. You don’t know when your next chance will be to travel, so do it while you can. If you’re going to spend your money on anything, do it on experiences such as seeing new places. Before you buy anything think to yourself, this or a ticket?

Developmental Neuropsychology Major/French Minor. Manhattanville College '18. Fluent in Russian and English. French familiarity. Violinist. Dancer.
Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Manhattanville  Want to join? Feel free to contact me at 1(914)467-9567 or cheskavkola@gmail.com