This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

As a junior at Manhattanville, there are so many things I wish I knew when I first stepped foot on campus! Here’s just a few tips to help you feel confident during your first year as a Valiant. 

1. Make a fresh start, with no regrets. You’re about to start a journey in a place where most, if not all, of the people don’t know you. Don’t let any of your baggage from high school keep you from doing your best, reaching your goals, or enjoying yourself. It’s time to put that bad break-up or the not-so-great grade in chemistry behind you. This is a new year, full of possibilities!
  2. Organize and manage your time. A huge part of being successful in college is being organized– and that doesn’t even have to be a tedious activity! Get a planner and/or set up a calendar, and make sure to include events on campus.
  3. School comes first. Parties, Fall Fest, Quad Jam, fun nights in White Plains, trips to NYC– yup, all great parts of college. But remember that you are paying a LOT of money to be here, and your main goal is an education. Get your butt to class, even if you’re really tired, or you wanted to stop and get Starbucks beforehand. Your glowing transcript will thank you.
  4. Show your professors you care, and get help when needed. Having a good rapport with your professors is essential– especially in a really small school, like Manhattanville. Here, you have the benefit of not being a number. Your professor will know your strengths, your weaknesses, and yes, whether or not you show a work ethic. Even if you don’t excel in a subject, there are so many ways to get help. Go to your professor’s office hours. Sign up for a free student tutor. Go to an SI session. Do your assignments and come to class with questions. Don’t be afraid to speak up. This is your education. Not only will it help you in the class– it will make your professor remember you as a dedicated student. 
  5. Join clubs. A great way to become involved and meet new friends is to join clubs. Make sure to go to the Club Fair and explore the possibilities. It’s an opportunity to meet people outside of your department, and make a difference on campus.  
  6. Take pictures. This may seem silly, but your college years are something you want to remember. Your future self will be very happy when they can look back at experiences from Fall Fest, 50 Nights, and even just a regular day on the quad. 
  7. Think about getting a campus job. Use our Mville Career Network to find out about jobs on campus. This is a great way to start saving, and also a great way to become part of the community. 
  8. Be smart. Inevitably, your first week, or even your first night of college, you will think about experimenting with alcohol, etc. Make these decisions carefully. One fun night is not worth risking your life over. Don’t do anything that you aren’t 100% comfortable with, be conscious of your intake, and don’t be afraid to leave the party if you don’t want to be there anymore. And if you don’t want to drink at all– don’t. You might think it’s embarrassing to say no to a shot, but real friends don’t care. Besides, it’s way more embarrassing to be the freshman puking all morning on the first day of class.
  9. Open your mind. Don’t say no to a gen ed course or elective because it’s something you’ve never tried before. Don’t assume you won’t find a friend in someone who is different than you. Get out of your comfort zone and see what’s out there!
  10. Take advantage of Mville Tickets. As college students, we have access to see Broadway shows, visit museums, go on lunch cruises, go to Six Flags, see sports games, and even more for extremely discounted prices. Don’t miss out on this! Trust me, you’re not getting that chance to see Something Rotten for $30 ever again. 
  11. Take care of yourself. Of course, it’s important to take academics seriously, but always remember to make your health (physical, mental, and emotional) a priority. If you really don’t feel well, notify your professors, take off from classes/work, and visit the Health Center. If you feel overwhelmed, don’t hesitate to contact the Counseling Center, take a break from studying to rest, or treat yourself to a fun day out. Don’t forget to make time for the necessities, like eating and sleeping, when you plan your calendar. Classes are important, but your wellbeing is more important!
  12. Enjoy it! Don’t take anything for granted. Yes, there will be struggles during your college career, but these four years can really be amazing. Try to keep up a positive attitude!
Shanice Peters is a Senior at Manhattanville College. She is from Brooklyn, NY. She's a Creative Writing major with a minor in Marketing and Communications. In her free time she enjoys making YouTube videos about fashion and beauty, writing on her personal blog and watching Gossip Girl. She's excited to be the Campus Correspondent for Manhattanville and hopes to engage students in her last year.