We Rated Thanksgiving Food and Here’s What We Think

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Ahh… Thanksgiving. The wonderful holiday where college students go home and really don’t want to be asked about their life plans and everyone has that drunk uncle. However, we all still manage to bond over two hours of eating a massive dinner at three in the afternoon, passing out right afterwards into a food coma, and waking to go at each other’s necks for ridiculous deals. 

Anyway, let’s get to the meat and potatoes of this article…haha. I’m here to rate everyone’s favorite Thanksgiving foods, and do not argue, you will be dismissed. 

1. Green Bean Casserole

This is the epitome of perfection and better be on everyone’s plate every Thanksgiving. Green beans, French fried onions, cream of mushroom…it really does not get any better. 13/10.

2. Mashed Potatoes and Gravy

Any form of potatoes is socially acceptable at Thanksgiving, but there’s just something about scooping beautifully whipped potatoes onto a plate and drowning it in gravy that is incredibly mouthwatering. A staple. 13/10.

3. Ham

I never put turkey on my plate; it will forever be ham. A honey ham baked with pineapples stuck onto the side is exactly what I expect to see when I go to take a slice of heaven. 12/10, would scarf down immediately. 

4. Rolls 

When making a plate you better finish it off by grabbing a warm, buttery piece of bread and pretending like the extra carbs won’t hurt you at all; don’t forget your stretchy pants. 10/10. 

5. Sweet Potato Casserole

Sweet potatoes + cinnamon + brown sugar + marshmallows + 350 degrees = party in your mouth. Food porn. However, you want to positively describe it, that’s what it is. 9/10

6. Deviled Eggs

Nothing devilish about these eggs. The most angelic dish to sit on the table and I will fight someone over the last one. 9/10.

7. Coconut Pie/Pecan Pie

Both pies are the real reason for the Thanksgiving season. Beautifully crafted pies to savor after already overeating around three plates of Thanksgiving food is the way to go. 8/10.

8. Macaroni and Cheese

Cheese. Enough said. 8/10.

9. Corn Casserole

I had this for the first time a few years back at a church dinner and it has and will always be a favorite. If you’ve never had it, you need it in your life. It’s a freaking casserole. 8/10.

10. Dressing

Okay, whoever created this must have been trying to kill someone because I never fail to CHOKE on this dry “favorite” every year. It does not matter how much gravy you douse this in. It is garbage and I will never look at again. 0/10.

11. Cranberry Sauce

I really dislike dressing/stuffing/whatever the proper term is, but I HATE THIS MORE. Makes no sense as to why someone wants to eat their turkey and casseroles with a side of tart jelly. I despise seeing this dark pink item appear next to the rolls every year. Don’t eat it. -5/10. 

Obviously, there are many more foods that people could argue that I should have fit into this list, but the top are the end-all, be-all of Thanksgiving delicacies, and the very bottom two should have never been invented. Period. 

Mika Vickery

Murray State '20

Mika Vickery is a senior at Murray State University, studying Public Relations with a minor in Occupational Safety and Health. She has been a member of the Murray State Her Campus chapter since it first launched on campus, and she now helps lead as Vice President of the organization, as well as managing their Instagram (@HCMurrayState). She enjoys hanging her ENO in the quad, looking up Pinterest recipes, shopping, and traveling.