An Unlimited Meal Plan with a Limiting Diet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

I have a chronic disorder called Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which is commonly known as IBS. It sounds a lot worse than it actually is, but this disorder messes up how your large intestine processes and digests your food. So, how do us lucky 10-15 percent of the world population get this disorder? Well, it’s brought on by excessive amounts of stress, anxiety and unhealthy food choices, so if you’re in college, the odds of you getting IBS, or another gut-related issue, are relatively high. Over the past two years, I’ve dealt with this disorder, which has led me to cut out certain foods in my diet, such as gluten, certain dairy and many acidic-based foods and drinks. If you’re keeping track, that’s 90% of the food options served in on-campus dining halls. Because of this, it sounds like I cannot eat anything, which is pretty true because now I have no choice but to eat twigs and berries; however, I’m required to be on the unlimited meal plan for my first two years on campus. So, somehow, I had to learn to adapt. Here’s how you can, too:

photo by:  Mervyn Chan on Unsplash

1. Contact your school about any restrictions you may have.

The first step that I took towards trying to get off the meal plan was contacting dining services. Luckily, for my sake, I work on campus in dining services already, so they directed me to the right people. At my school, I had to make an appointment with the disabilities office and meet with the chef at the main dining hall. From there, he helped explain what the safest dining options would be for me. Usually, this is the first step you want to take to see if there is any possibility of switching meal plans or getting off of one all together.

2. BYOF (Bring Your Own Food)!

Now, this may seem silly because you pay thousands of dollars to be on this meal plan, however, many of my restrictions can be easily solved by just bringing in a gluten free supplement, so I can have a burger or make a sandwich like anyone else. Our main dining hall also carries some gluten free products that I can ask any dining services worker for when I arrive.

3. Go to the dining hall every morning for breakfast or call ahead.

Usually, dining halls have many things to offer for breakfast. From cereal, eggs, bacon, sandwiches, salads, sausages, fruit and the typical pancake or waffle, it’s almost impossible not to find anything. The reason I recommend going at this hour is because if you have a busy day or are aware of a meal you cannot have that’s being offered for lunch or dinner, you can use this early time to set up a meal and a time that you will pick up your adapted meal.

4. Use Your Flex!

Most unlimited meal plans your first year have the option to give you some money in flex dollars, which can be used at other dining halls on campus, or even other restaurants in the surrounding campus area. If this is the case, feel free to explore other options on campus. Know that you don’t have to eat the same food every time because of allergies, dietary restrictions or preference.

5. Take your leftovers with you!!

This may be a general unlimited meal plan tip, but there are usually a variety of things offered at our main dining hall that I can have, as long as they’re separated. For example, I cannot have strawberries alone because of the acidity levels. However, if I bring home a banana, some yogurt, and some strawberries, I can make a smoothie that I can eat and is healthy for me, too. 

With all of the worries that come with your first few years of college, food should be the least of them. But for those of us with food restrictions, there is an adjustment to eating on campus that is more manageable than it originally appears to be.

Michaela Molnar

Murray State '20

Michaela is a Senior Elementary Education major at Murray State University. She’s a Sagittarius, Enneagram type 7, the future owner of a pug named Porkchop & her favorite color is yellow. She has aspirations to teach in the city & plans to finish writing her first book by the end of this year. A fun fact about Michaela is that she has sung on stage with Foreigner.