Tips and Tricks for the Best Friendsgiving Ever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Turkey Day is just around the corner, and with it, lots of us are packing up what we need for Thanksgiving break and going home for a few days to see family, eat lots of food, and avoid touchy conversations with racist uncles. If you’re like me, you also like to see your old friends who come home this time of year as well. And what better way to celebrate along with them than with a Friendsgiving?

Friendsgiving is something you can squeeze in a day or so after the big meal, catch up with your people from home, and recharge before heading into finals week. However, in the interest of making it hopefully less stressful than your family’s main event, here are my tips for a successful Thanksgiving, Round Two.

(Photo by Priscilla Du Preez on Unsplash)

We’re broke, and you know what broke people have? Potlucks.

There are a lot of ways you can go about this, but personally, I find the best way is to borrow (steal?) some leftovers from your own family’s meal and bring that. If that isn’t an option, most traditional Thanksgiving foodstuffs (potatoes, beans, cheese,) are relatively cheap, and instead of cooking up a whole new bird, try just cooking a turkey breast instead.

Plan ahead.

Anyone who’s ended up with multiples of the same dish at a function can tell you, potlucks require some forethought. Coordinate who’s bringing what, so that you don’t end up with two green bean casseroles and three of the same pie.

Don’t make it clash with other events.

If your house is full of rugrats and their parents during this holiday, it is probably best if you don’t host. That being said, take into consideration maybe having it in a public venue if no one is able to open up their house, especially in a park if it’s warmer where you live this time of year. Who says Friendsgiving can’t be a picnic?

(Photo by Alison Marras on Unsplash)

So now, if you do find yourself getting away from your family this week for a little R&R (and massive overeating) with friends, you’ll know you can follow these tips to have a great Friendsgiving. Enjoy yourself!  

(Thumbnail by Natalia Y on Unsplash)

Simon Placr

Murray State '20

Simon Placr (PLAY-ser) is an Organizational Communications student at Murray State University. He enjoys playing with his pets, watching reruns of The Golden Girls, and finding new ways to annoy his friends. He is the Event Coordinator for Her Campus Murray State and can be found on Instagram as @simon_lucas98.