Things Your Family Says to You on Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Thanksgiving Break sounds great: no class, minimal homework, lots of food. Then you make it to Thanksgiving dinner and the roast season begins. 

“You look thicker.”

It wouldn’t be Thanksgiving if Grandma didn’t comment on your weight. Maybe you did gain weight, maybe you didn’t. It’s no one’s business. You just want to eat a plate-full of food in peace. 

“Your roots are showing.”

You’re aware. You just didn’t want to spend the money to fix them yet. 

“Your acne’s flaring up again.”

It’s always endearing when your family decides to point out all of your flaws. 

“Do you have a boyfriend?”

Is Thanksgiving just a chance for your family to bother you about your failing/nonexistent love life? If you did have a significant other, you wouldn’t subject your SO to dinner with your crazy family.

“You just haven’t met the right guy yet.”

That’s exactly what you want to hear when you’re gay, bisexual, or pansexual.

“How are your grades?”

This is the last thing you want to think about on break. 

“Have you been to church recently?”

The easy answer is yes. The honest answer will lead to a lecture. 

“Your outfit is…interesting.”

Interesting is never a good thing when it relates to appearances. 

“Millennials are lazy.”

It’s not like you work part time, go to school full time, and overwhelm yourself with extra projects trying to get a better shot at getting a job.  

“Racism doesn’t exist anymore.”

“Are you one of those Feminazis?”

“Trump”

Just the name is enough to make you leave the room. Nothing good can come of talking about politics with family. 

No matter how many annoying things you have to deal with on Thanksgiving, you still look forward to it because you do love your family, even if they’re wrong and sometimes horrible.      

Sydney Wedbush

Murray State

Sydney Wedbush is a junior English/Creative Writing major at Murray State. When she's not reading or writing for class, she's reading and writing for fun. Want to find her in her natural habitat? Check the book store or library, and make Harry Potter references.