jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Things NOT to do on a First Date

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

A first date is one of the most awkward activities. You’re trying to get to know this person, but you’re also trying to impress them. You don’t want to say anything too weird too early, and you definitely don’t want to be stuck on a date with someone you don’t like. Here are a few tips to make your first date go as smooth as possible.

1. Don’t judge the person right away.

Give the person a chance. If you automatically shut them down, then you might be missing out. Sure, that weird joke that kind of fell flat was awkward, but people say strange things when they’re uncomfortable. 

2. Don’t lie.

The point of a first date is to get to know the person better. If you make stuff up, then you’ll have to keep lying or eventually tell the person the truth. 

3. Don’t talk about your ex. 

Talking about your ex will translate in one of two ways: either you’re not over the person or you’re bitter. There are so many other things to talk about that this shouldn’t be one of them. 

4. Don’t interrupt. 

No one likes being interrupted. Let your date finish their sentence before you cut in and talk about that really funny story you just thought about. 

5. Don’t quietly suffer. 

If sitting in awkward silence is bothering you, speak up. It doesn’t make you look desperate if you ask your date questions. It makes you look interested. 

6. Don’t trash talk. 

Talking bad about other people always reflects badly on you. Gossip might be interesting, but don’t waste time talking about other people when you could be getting to know your date.

7. Don’t bring up the far away future.

You could make plans for a second date, but planning too far ahead can make things awkward really fast. 

8. Don’t order a salad if you don’t want a salad. 

You should never order less food for the sole purpose of impressing your date. Order and eat what you want. If you want to drink a regular sized milkshake by yourself rather than split a kids size, speak up.

9. Don’t refuse to pay. 

Everyone has conflicting ideas about who should pay on a first date. Even if traditional ideas are important to you, be open to paying. If it bothers you that much, don’t go out with that person again. 

10. Don’t feel obligated to go out again.

If you weren’t feeling it with that person, don’t waste your time and the other person’s time. You don’t owe them a second date.

Remember that dates are supposed to be fun. Don’t feel pressured to talk about or do anything that you don’t feel comfortable doing.         

Sydney Wedbush

Murray State

Sydney Wedbush is a junior English/Creative Writing major at Murray State. When she's not reading or writing for class, she's reading and writing for fun. Want to find her in her natural habitat? Check the book store or library, and make Harry Potter references.