A Quick Guide to Sun Sign Compatibility for Valentine’s Day 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

V-Day is coming up, and with it, love is in the air. What a lot of people tend to forget, however, is that love is also in the stars. Sometimes, it can feel like we’re stuck in a dead end on the romantic side of things. Maybe all you need is to turn your gaze upward (or maybe just a few Google searches) and find out about your compatibility. We all know that “what’s your sign” is the cheesiest pick-up line ever (and if you’re like me, you respond with “dollar,”) but it can sometimes help reveal quite a bit about your personality and how you operate with others around you. Nothing is concrete, and sign compatibility are only little guidelines, but if you’re at your wit’s end trying to find someone who will at least sometimes pay for dinner, give this article a scan, and see who you could be on the lookout for, and who you should maybe avoid. Above all, have fun out there, be safe, and happy Valentine’s Day!

(Photo by Mark Tegethoff on Unsplash)

Aquarius (January 20-February 18)

A fixed air sign, Aquarians march fiercely to the beat of their own drums. They do best in relationships where they can express their strong opinions freely and aren’t made to feel like they have to conform to others’ expectations. Leo and Sagittarius, both free thinkers, are a great match for these types.

Pisces (February 19-March 20)

Remember when I said “avoid some signs?” I was talking about Pisces.

Okay, not really. Pisces are a mutable water sign, and they are known for being pretty emotional at times. Highly expressive, they need a strong but caring earth sign to ground them, so Virgo and Taurus are a great match.

Aries (March 21-April 19)

Cardinal fire sign Aries is a confident yet impatient sign. Patience is needed with these types, but you’ll also have found someone honest and passionate about the relationship. If you’re a Libra, balance out an Aries’ impulsive inner fire with your own knack for thinking things out. And if you’re a Leo, prepare to meet your match in a fellow fire sign.

Taurus (April 20-May 20)

Stubborn, yet gentle and devoted, the fixed earth sign Taurus is just the kind of person you’d want as your support system. Sometimes acting like a homebody, if you’re a Taurus you’ll find the spontaneity you need in a Scorpio, or a like-minded nurturer in a Cancer.

Gemini (May 21-June 20)

Mutable air, Gemini (the Twins) are known for changing their mood on a dime. They enjoy learning about new things and are open to new ideas, but can be flighty. Sagittarius can take their “multiple personalities” in stride, and Aquarius can give some firm, yet kind words when necessary. In addition, this is one of the few signs that pairs well with itself.

Cancer (June 21-July 22)

Cancers are known for being the mom friend. Loyal and charismatic, they also enjoy can be a bit of a downer at times, owing to their position as the cardinal water sign. Capricorns will empathize with their tendency to be a nurturer, as will Taurus.

Leo (July 23-August 22)

Fixed fire sign Leo is easily the most outgoing sign. They possess a great sense of humor but tend to be a bit demanding in a relationship. A patient Aquarius or an equally-intense Gemini is a great match for passionate Leos.

Virgo (August 23-September 22)

Virgos, mutable earth, are busy little bees! They’re always looking to progress their careers, so they need strong people in their lives who will be there to cheer them on. Empathetic Pisces and Cancer are great compliments to a Virgo’s dedicated work ethic.

Libra (September 23-October 22)

Represented by a pair of scales, Libras (cardinal air) are known for their indecisiveness, but also their diplomacy. Their love of harmony is sometimes a weakness, as they sometimes avoid confrontation in order to keep the peace. They love thinking outside of the box, so an imaginative partner is necessary, and can be found in an Aries or a Sagittarius.

Scorpio (October 23-November 21)

This strong fixed water sign is heavily associated with passion and sexuality. They have a strong healing presence as well, and like all water signs, tend to be expressive. While they hate dishonesty, they also like to have their own secrets, and a caring Taurus or Cancer is the perfect match.

Sagittarius (November 22-December 21)

These people are the best sign ever, they’re so great, we have decided to stan forever…can you tell I’m a Sagittarius? In all honesty, Sagittarians are the mutable fire sign and are known for their idealism and humor. However, we also are known for having zero content filter and not exactly having a detail-oriented mind. As such we should get paired with fellow fire sign Aries or a Gemini with a patient streak.

Capricorn (December 22-January 19)

Quiet, thoughtful, and appreciative of quality, Capricorns are the cardinal earth sign, and their ability to slip into cruise control (emotionally) is matched only by their cold, calculating minds, perfect for devising new ways of ruining your life. Okay, that’s a bit unfair, but they do need someone willing to show them the more emotional side of life, so Cancer and Taurus, both stubborn but loving, fit well.

(Thumbnail by Jeremy Thomas on Unsplash)

Simon Placr

Murray State '20

Simon Placr (PLAY-ser) is an Organizational Communications student at Murray State University. He enjoys playing with his pets, watching reruns of The Golden Girls, and finding new ways to annoy his friends. He is the Event Coordinator for Her Campus Murray State and can be found on Instagram as @simon_lucas98.