kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

The Nighttime & Morning Routine That’ll Make 2018 Your Best Year Yet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

OK, let’s be real. Getting ourselves out of bed in the morning is hard. It’s more than hard. It’s like playing Guitar Hero on expert level hard and I know very few people who can actually do that.

Now, just because we aren’t all woken up each morning by Dorota opening the curtains to let a little light in just before letting us know our favorite breakfast and mimosas are waiting for us in the dinning room, doesn’t mean we can’t begin each day like the queens we are.

We just have to plan for ourselves, sounds tough, but honestly, it’s not as hard as it seems.

It’s absolutely correct to believe that having a stellar morning routine will positively impact your day, but a life-changing routine is only that because it’s complemented by the perfect nighttime routine. The truth is that even a perfectly structured morning can suffer from a poorly executed nighttime routine, so don’t let your nighttime brain set you up for failure.

Yep, that’s right. The value of your tomorrow begins with how well you prepare tonight. So, let’s start there.

Here is all you need to know about creating a perfect nighttime routine that will set you up for an empowering and less than stressful morning.

Do things you will thank yourself for tomorrow

I’m sure you already have a list of things on your mind that you know you need to get done tomorrow. So, go ahead, sit at your desk and jot down that list you’re pretty sure you’ll remember in the morning. In taking the time to do this, you’ll wake up already knowing what the day expects of you. It’ll help you feel more organized and prepared, and there’s a 100% chance you’ll be less likely to forget your responsibilities. 

Prepare to dress for the occasion

Whatever tomorrow’s responsibilities bring, dress for it. Lay out an outfit. This will save you so much time in the morning while getting ready. You won’t have to worry about multiple outfit changes and then coming home after a long day to clean clothes laying all over your room just waiting to be hung back up. Whether you’re going to need important papers, your book bag or purse, get everything ready to go before you climb in bed. Don’t be late to work because you were searching under clothes for your keys or paperwork you hadn’t gathered.

Sleepy-time hygiene

Spend some time on yourself. Getting ready for bed should include getting yourself ready to sleep comfortably, not just throwing on a t shirt. While most of us sleep comfortably in t shirts, there’s so much more that can be done. When you feel clean, you’ll sleep better, so wash your face, brush your teeth, lotion up, even put on a facemask while you wind down if you want. 

Put on the breaks

Make sure you give yourself time to wind down. You can’t go from driving to stopping without breaking, so make sure you have a nightly calming activity. Consistency is key here because it will signal your body, telling your brain that it’s time for bed.

There are a few things you can substitute here depending on your personality type. Here are a some suggestions:

• If you’re OK with showering at night, take a warm shower, then do a few stretches. Stretching after a warm shower will help sooth your tight, exhausted muscles relieving stress tension. Choose four stretches to do each night. You may feel silly, but your body will thank you. 
  • Curl up with a poetry book, like The Sun and Her Flowers and some warm caffeine-free herbal tea. Reading can make you sleepy, and with each page introducing a new poem, it gives you endless stopping opportunities when you get tired. 
  • Pour a glass of wine, grab your colored pencils and relax with an adult coloring book. Some coloring pages can be very intricate, so don’t try to finish an entire piece before bed. Use it to help you relax until you fall asleep, then pick up where you left off tomorrow night. Also, according to shape.com, a glass of wine before bed actually speeds the release of certain hormones, triggering metabolic changes that help you drift off to sleep… as if we needed another reason to enjoy a glass of wine.
  • Turn on some relaxing tunes, and diffuse your favorite essential oils. Essential oils such as lavender, vetiver and roman chamomile aromas paired with your favorite songs will help create an atmosphere for better sleep.

Black out

OK, here’s where everyone’s biggest problems with nighttime routines lay: screens. As an evening ritual, we scroll through our feeds hoping to eventually become sleepy, but then we look up just for the clock to read 3:00am, and we’re like, “what?!” Something you may not know is, staring at the television or your phone screen can trigger your brain to stay awake. So, Netflix before bed, probably not the best idea. Unplug, pull your sleeping mask down over your eyes and catch those Z’s.

Consistency 

Do your best to go to sleep at the same time every night, this can amplify the quality of your sleep. Though this is a minor habit, it’s impact is big. Your body will naturally fall into that structured routine. Chances are you get up at the same time every morning, so make sure you get enough sleep by climbing into bed at the same time each night.

OK, now that you’ve set yourself up to have a productive day, let’s talk about your morning routine.

Wake up grateful

Oh, it’s the most difficult part of the day, but having the right attitude can make it so much easier to get out of bed. Change your attitude from “I have to” to “I get to.” Whether you have a job to go to, school to attend or kids to take care of, it’s all a blessing and a privilege. So, get excited about your day and get ready to conquer it!

Make your bed

The first thing you should do when you get out of bed, is make it back. Making your bed will already give you a sense of accomplishment for the day. You’ve been awake five minutes and you’ve already started off on a great foot! Though all you did was make your bed, it will give you an insane illusion that you have your life together a little bit, not to mention, when you come home after a long day, your nice, neat bed will be waiting there to welcome you back home!

Check your to-do list

After you’ve made your bed, head over to your desk for a refresher on what today holds. If there is anything you have written down that can be done now, like switching the laundry, packing a lunch or feeding the dog, do it and check it off your list. You’re on a roll this morning, getting things done left and right! Scan the rest of your to-do list and organize your thoughts. Don’t let your list of responsibilities overwhelm you or stress you out. You have everything in front of you, now all you need to do is get it done and have a productive day so you can rest easy tonight!

Start your day with something positive

Whether it’s a devotional from your favorite Christian influencer or a positive article from your favorite online source, take some time for self care and self reflection. Meditate on positive scripture while listening to uplifting music, start your day with a positive tone and choose to have a good day. Starting off on this positive foot will help you combat bad things that happen throughout the next 8 to 10 hours. 

Get ready

So, we prepared for this last night as well. If you took the time to lay out your clothes, the rest of your morning should run pretty smoothly! All you have to do is fix your hair and put on a little makeup. Easy peasy lemon squeezy, right? Well, not always. Getting in the habit of a daily makeup routine will help simplify your morning as well. Also, every woman should have an easy “go-to updo.” This comes in handy when you just don’t know what to do with your hair or you don’t have the time to spend on it. Whether it’s a trendy pony tail or a cute low bun, be a master of that hair style and it will de-stress your life in an instant. Another thing every girl ready to tackle the day should have is a morning playlist. This is a list of a few songs that will spice up your morning, helping you to feel empowered and capable. In case no songs come to mind, I’ll share a few of mine.

Michaelyn’s Morning playlist​

• Pretty Girl Rock – Keri Hilson
  • Do My Thang – Miley Cyrus
  • Miss Movin’ On – Fifth Harmony
  • Diva – Beyonce
  • Bodak Yellow – Cardi B
  • Flawless – Beyonce

These songs are sure to get you hyped up before you head out of the house. Now, take a final look in that mirror, put on your lipstick, strut out that door and make today your day! 

Michaelyn is a senior journalism student with a minor in English at Murray State University and along with being a writer for Her Campus, she is a content creator for The Odyssey! She loves Jesus, musicals, makeup, writing and laughing. Michaelyn is also bilingual--as she is fluent in memes and GIFs. On campus, she works as a student public relations writer, is a member of the Murray State Social Media Team and is involved in her sorority. When Michaelyn isn't busy at school, work or being the "GIF Queen," she can be found cuddled up with her puppy and a cup of coffee.