This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Last week, I ended an almost three-year relationship. It was crazy stuff.  I constantly found myself trying to be more independent and do things alone and I liked it. 

If there is one thing you get out of this article, I want it to be this: NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR MAKING YOURSELF HAPPY.

And let me tell you why…

1. Your mental health is important.

I was once in a battle between feeling the need to be loved and being happy. Weird enemies. Most people think that if you are loved you should be happy, but it doesn’t always work that way. I found out I liked the idea of being with someone but I did not want to be with someone, and I felt that my happiness could’ve been better if I were alone. Being single is amazing to me. I finally feel like I can be myself.

2. It’s important to find yourself.

It’s difficult to be in a spot in life where you feel the need to please someone else. Especially whenever you do not know what you want to do with yourself. We had previously talked marriage and at the time I loved it, but now I sit back and think “What the hell was I thinking?” How is it possible to find yourself whenever you must worry about others? Beats me.

3. You don’t owe anyone anything.

Well, maybe besides your parents. Still, you owe nothing to anyone. Let me repeat… YOU OWE NO ONE ANYTHING. No explanations, reasons, feelings, time, nothing. It’s important to remember this because many people will bully and manipulate you into thinking you should explain to them because you either love them or you should out of respect. That is not the case at all. 

So, in conclusion, it’s okay to be alone. Surround yourself with people you enjoy spending time with like your family and friends, or simple be by yourself. Use this time as reflection or figuring out who you are or what you feel lead to do. But, never think you need anyone. People come and go, but all you have is yourself. 

Mika Vickery

Murray State '20

Mika Vickery is a senior at Murray State University, studying Public Relations with a minor in Occupational Safety and Health. She has been a member of the Murray State Her Campus chapter since it first launched on campus, and she now helps lead as Vice President of the organization, as well as managing their Instagram (@HCMurrayState). She enjoys hanging her ENO in the quad, looking up Pinterest recipes, shopping, and traveling.