Homework Break: The Best Games to Play With Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

One of the worst things about college is the hours of homework. If you’re struggling with the winter break to spring semester transition or you just need a break from all of the homework, here’s the ultimate list of social games to play with friends.

Cards Against Humanity

While this game can get old, it had to make the list. It’s a funny, social game that doesn’t require much strategy. There’s no quicker way to get comfortable with a new group of people than by making horrible jokes together. Plus, the expansion packs can make the game more interesting.

Quiplash

This is a game that comes in a few of the Jackbox Party Packs, which you can download off of Steam or onto your Playstation or Xbox. Quiplash is similar to Cards Against Humanity, but you write your own answers to the prompts. 

Fakin’ It

This is another Jackbox game that’s great for a group. Everyone gets a prompt except for one person, who is the faker. That person has to try to blend in and act like their answer to the prompt is true. Then everyone has three tries to guess who the faker is.

Werewolf

This is one of the best games for larger groups. It’s a card game that’s similar to Mafia, except every person has a special role and you need a minimum of seven players plus a narrator. There are villagers and there are werewolves. The villagers are trying to lynch the werewolves, and the werewolves are trying to get rid of the villagers. It’s a social game of lying and alliances. It can seem a bit confusing at first, but as everyone learns the rules and perfects their strategies, it can be really fun.

Catan

If you’re into strategic board games, this one is like Risk but shorter and without the fighting. You’re trying to get ten points by building roads, settlements, cities, and your army. The problem is that you can only access so many resources and there’s a fair bit of chance involved. If you like Risk but you’re terrible at winning battles like me, then Catan is your game. 

Golf with Friends

If you’re snowed in and bored or you miss your friends back home, then you should try Golf with Friends. It’s cheap on Steam. You just download it to your computer or laptop and then play virtual mini golf with your friends. I’m terrible at it, but I still have fun.              

Sydney Wedbush

Murray State

Sydney Wedbush is a junior English/Creative Writing major at Murray State. When she's not reading or writing for class, she's reading and writing for fun. Want to find her in her natural habitat? Check the book store or library, and make Harry Potter references.