This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

For many feminists, Lana Del Rey has been controversial. People wonder if, in the midst of her crooning about bad boys and sexual submission, she has any positive messages for young women. As a Lana megafan since her first album, Born To Die, was released in 2012, I consider myself knowledgeable in both her lyrics and how she’s evolved as an artist.

It’s always been my personal opinion that, while she does have some touchy lines, she mostly plays a character. A character who is damaged, and perhaps needs help, but most importantly, is in control. Maybe not of her circumstances, or her men, but of herself. The only time she’s ever seen chained to a lover is because she alone holds the key to the shackles. Especially with her most recent album, Lust for Life, we see her really coming into her own, both as this character she portrays and as herself, the artist. Is she the ideal feminist? No. But at times, she’s barely of this earth, and almost ethereal. She plays a part, that which allows a lot of people to escape into a world she’s created, one of opulence and sin, trap beats backing violins, and West Coast fantasy meeting East Coast grit. And if we’re honest, that’s sometimes an escape we need.

With that, here’s a playlist I’ve made, attempting to capture Lana Del Rey’s essence, and what are, in my opinion, her best works. Enjoy!

Simon Placr

Murray State '20

Simon Placr (PLAY-ser) is an Organizational Communications student at Murray State University. He enjoys playing with his pets, watching reruns of The Golden Girls, and finding new ways to annoy his friends. He is the Event Coordinator for Her Campus Murray State and can be found on Instagram as @simon_lucas98.