Best Snacks for Cold Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Cold weather is finally upon us and it has hit me like a truck. In our small town in western Kentucky, you never truly know when the weather is going to change, so you end up wearing sandals when it’s 50 degrees and rainy. To save you from the cold, here are some snacks and drinks to keep you a little warmer.

1. Hot Chocolate

This is a staple drink for the cold weather. There is a recipe for anyone that you can find on Pinterest. There is caramel hot chocolate, peppermint hot chocolate, and even a unicorn hot chocolate. This warm, chocolatey, delicious drink is a must this fall/winter.

2. Cookies

These are a must for any type of weather honestly, but there are so many variations of cookies that you can make during this cold weather. You can never go wrong with chocolate chips cookies, but sometimes you need something a little different. Try making cinnamon roll cookies. There is an easy recipe on Pinterest which you can go to here. Regular cinnamon rolls are delicious, but when they’re in cookie form? So much better.

3. Chai Tea

This warm drink might not be for everyone, but it is definitely one to try. I’ve only tried the one from Starbucks and that one is bomb. I will most likely be trying to make my own this winter and hopefully it turns out as delicious as the Starbucks one!

4. Popcorn

You might’ve never thought of popcorn as a cold weather snack, but I feel like popcorn tastes the best when it’s cold outside. It sounds strange, but it’s true! Especially if it’s homemade popcorn. Making popcorn is fairly easy, but if you need a recipe, this one from Pinterest is easy to follow and the popcorn looks yummy.

5. Pan Dulce

This tasty Mexican pastry is a must for the winter season. The name in Spanish translates to sweet bread, which is exactly what it is. There are several types of Pan Dulce like conchas, orejas, and puerquitos. My favorites are the puerquitos, which are shaped liked pigs (that’s where the name comes from). These Mexican pastries are great paired with hot chocolate, coffee, milk, or any drink of your choice.

Make sure to try these yummy snacks and drinks to warm you up during the cold weather!

She is a sophomore in college who is a nursing major. Eating tortas, reading, knitting, and hanging out with friends are some of the things she enjoys doing. If she's not studying at Waterfield Library, she's for sure sleeping at home with her dogs.