This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Cover photo courtesy of Erin Pachter Photography

It’s hard to believe that almost six months have flown by since the class of 2021 had freshman orientation. It feels like, not long ago, we were learning the words to the alma mater at our first Candlelight Ceremony. Now, five weeks into the second semester, we’re left wondering “where did the time go?” Whether it’s your first year at Muhlenberg or your last you should take advantage of every moment of your undergrad years. Here are a list of things that you have to try before closing those red doors. 

Explore the Lehigh Valley 

The Muhlenberg campus is a part of a community enriched with a variety of cultures and a plethora of new experiences. If you’re looking to get away from campus for a night, grab a group of friends and try some of the restaurants in downtown Allentown. Or, if you’re feeling really adventurous, spend the weekend exploring some of the other destinations in the Lehigh Valley.        

Go to a theatre or dance show (or both!)

Photo courtesy of Muhlenberg College Theatre & Dance

Being a dance major at Muhlenberg I can advocate for the amount of talent that exists in our theatre and dance program. With one of the most prestigious arts programs in the Lehigh Valley, each performance is sure to be an unbelievable experience.  

Study Abroad

Your college years are the perfect time to travel and indulge yourself in subjects that your passionate about. Before being tied down to a full-time career, take the opportunity to immerse yourself in the programs your institution has to offer. Nowadays, study abroad programs are becoming much more common and accessible to college students. Surrounding yourself with a new culture will allow you to have a more worldly perspective and gain a sense of independence that can be translated into your future career. 

Volunteer in the community

Doing work in your college community can be such a rewarding experience and can establish relationships with others who share the same values as you. It can be as simple as volunteering to work an event or a fundraiser for your school. If community service is something that is essential to your college experience, you can translate this passion into the outside community through organizations that are looking for student volunteers. 

Join a club!

Clubs and organizations on campus are a huge part of college social life. Being part of a group of people that share your same interests can open doors to friendships that can last outside of college. Clubs also give students the opportunity to try new interests without a tremendous amount of commitment. So, the next time you see the opportunity to join a club you’ve always been interest in pursuing, now is the best time to take the risk! 

Write thank you notes to professors 

Throughout our college careers, there will always be that one professor who has gone above and beyond to make sure that our academic experience is as successful as it can possibly be. Some of them may have given you the skills needed to succeed outside of college or have opened doors for you to pursue other professional opportunities. Make sure before you graduate, that you show appreciation to the professors who have helped you get to where you are today.

Caitlin Burns

Muhlenberg '21

Muhlenberg Marketing and Publicity Director Business Marketing and Dance double major 
Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.