Nineteen Years Together: To My Twin Sister on Our Birthday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

My entire life, I have had the opportunity to grow up alongside my best friend who also happens to be my twin sister.

As little girls, we were always inseparable. There was no way that one of us would leave the house without the other or without our quirky, matching outfits. Thankfully, we grew out of that phase. The first time we were ever separated was when we began preschool, because my sister would attend school in the morning and I would go in the afternoon. Even then, I would still force our dad drive me to the school just to see my sister “one last time.”

Through the years, we were always placed next door to each other’s classrooms in school. My sister would come in to my classroom every morning to ask me what I was having for lunch, just so we could both have the same thing! Despite our meaningless fights and arguments, we always seemed to have a great time with one another. We usually always shared the same friend group and participated in the same activities. And there is no one else that I’d share these unforgettable memories with.

It wasn’t until we started college when we realized that our bond was unbreakable. Attending different college has actually helped us grow closer. Although we may be many miles apart, we still continue to support each other and make each other laugh. I’m incredibly proud of what we have accomplished on our own and I can’t wait to see what the future holds for us.

To my womb-mate, partner-in-crime, twin, and best friend,

Thanks for sharing awful bowl-cuts with me and our crazy obsession with Hannah Montana and the ICONic Boyz. Thank you for the endless laughter, for always pushing me to work hard, and for always having my back. Thank you for always cheering me on and being there through the good and the bad. Now, don’t get me wrong, you still drive me crazy, but I wouldn’t want to experience this journey with anybody else.

Thank you for sharing these past nineteen years by my side. I wouldn’t have it any other way. Happy Birthday!

Yanet Ocampo

Muhlenberg