March Madness Recap: Another Victory for Philly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

The 2018 NCAA Tournament certainly lived up to its expectations this year leaving all those fans in Philly very happy. From buzzer beaters, record comebacks, to teams ranked seventeen beating number one ranked teams; the tournament was filled with unexpected events. 

I am not sure why people even made brackets this year because I am sure it got destroyed when UMBC knocked off Virginia in the first round, the first ever 16-over-1 in NCAA Tournament history. One of the best games took place in the Elite Eight versus Kansas and Duke. The two top blue-bloods went head to head for 45 minutes with two Hall of Fame coaches on the sidelines. It was the only Elite Eight game featuring the region’s two top seeds; what is better than that? 

With the Final Four sports filled, Loyola, Michigan, Kansas, and Villanova kept dancing to the finals. Michigan took the win over Loyola 69-57. Loyola should be proud of what they accomplished, making the Final Four as a No. 11 seed. With Michigan clinching a spot in the final, it was time for Villanova and Kansas to fight for that spot.

Villanova took the game by storm and beat Kansas 95 to 79. Villanova faced off against Kansas for the championship game; however, it was not even a competition. Villanova dominated all forty-five minutes from offense to defense. Kansas did not have a chance of catching up with them. Villanova claimed their second title in two years thanks in large part to Donte DiVincenzo, who ended the game with thirty-one points. He was unstoppable. From blocks to three-pointers, this 6’5’’ guard got the job done – also giving Philadelphia another reason to celebrate.

I am a junior at Muhlenberg College and play on the Women's Basketball team. I love to hang out with my friends, family, and I have a ten year old golden retriever named Jake.