March 23rd is National Puppy Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

March 23rd is no ordinary day. It is National Puppy Day. This national holiday is a day for acknowledging and praising all of the joy and fond memories we share with our puppies.

While this day is meant to celebrate how amazing pups are, the day also calls for our attention to be drawn to important issues. It works to raise awareness for and enable the movement to end puppy mills and farms and to promote adoption over shopping. 

Puppy mills are where dogs are kept in inhumane conditions for the sole purpose of breeding. These malnutritioned dogs are forced to breed multiple times a day. When they aren’t being forced to mate, they sit in cold, confined cages. 

The reason National Puppy Day exists is to put an end to these puppy mills and farms. Dogs should never have to live in these conditions. Here is a link to hundreds of online petitions to put an end to these mills.

Now, let’s talk about how to celebrate this amazing holiday!

1. If you have a dog or see a dog walking around campus or town, give them a big hug and belly rubs. Appreciate your dog and all they do for you.

2. If you’re considering adopting, don’t wait any longer! There’s no time like the present to get yourself a furry best friend.

3. Donate to the ASPCA or a local shelter near you. Any help goes such a long way, even if you volunteer for a few hours.

Go out there and show some puppy love on this day and everyday!

Source:

https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/fun/puppy-day

Ella Bruck

Muhlenberg '21

Hi I'm Ella! I'm a sophomore at Muhlenberg College and a Media & Communications and Anthropology double major. I'm the Managing Editor and event coordinator for Her Campus at Muhlenberg. Some things about me: I love working out, travelling, and eating food (especially sushi)! 
Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.