Let’s Talk About Cinco de Mayo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Americans are always looking for a reason to drink and will use any holiday to justify this. They’ll even take holidays from other countries and turn them into something it isn’t to excuse the raging alcoholism. This is the case with Cinco de Mayo, a Mexican holiday that Americans have turned into a big party with alcohol everywhere. This iteration of the holiday couldn’t be farther from the truth.

What is Cinco de Mayo?

Well, it certainly isn’t Mexico’s Independence Day, as many people mistakenly believe. That day falls on September 16 and is one of the most important holidays in Mexico. Cinco de Mayo, or May 5th, is the day the Mexican army scored an unlikely victory over the French in the Battle of Puebla in 1862. Clearly that is cause for some sort of celebration.

Why shouldn’t we celebrate it?

For starters, while it does have some importance, Cinco de Mayo isn’t really celebrated in Mexico. It is only really celebrated in the town of Puebla (where the battle took place) and a few other large cities. Americans actually ‘celebrate’ Cinco de Mayo more than the residents of its country of origin.

The term ‘celebrate’ is used loosely here. American Cinco de Mayo ‘celebrations’ are often rife with harmful stereotypes and cultural appropriation. It is nearly impossible to go out on Cinco de Mayo and not see someone dressed in a sombrero and fake mustache holding maracas in the name of Cinco de Mayo. This ends up being especially true in non-Hispanic areas, which tend to be the ones who ‘celebrate’ the most.

Even large companies are guilty of appropriation in terms of Cinco de Mayo. In 2014, a MSNBC morning show had to apologize after airing a segment that featured a producer taking a shot of tequila and shaking a maraca. That same year, ABC had to apologize for a newscaster referring to Cinco de Mayo as “Cinco de Drinko”.  All of these contribute to harmful stereotypes and only hurt the Mexican community.

While there’s nothing wrong with going to get some half price tequila, make sure that you’re not helping to perpetuate the stereotypes that American Cinco de Mayo celebrations seem to enforce. Go to a Mexican restaurant and try some actual Mexican cuisine. Educate yourself on issues the Mexican community faces. At the same time you can help to educate others on why these things are wrong and tell them what Cinco de Mayo actually is.

Muhlenberg '19 Spanish Language and Literature major on the Pre-med track. Hobbies include listening to music, Netflix, and debunking scientific myths
Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.