How to Keep a Healthy Relationship With Your Roommate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Whether you chose your roommate or was paired randomly, it’s important to have and maintain a healthy living space at college. While it isn’t always easy living with someone, there are definitely ways to keep a healthy relationship with your roommate.

For starters, whether you did so in the beginning of the year or not, set expectations for one another. It’s never too late to start this conversation. Talk about what you are okay with and what you’re not. It is totally okay to change your mind about one of your expectations during the year.

Another important thing is to have good communication between one another. I see so many people fight with their roommates over ridiculous things. Most of the time, arguments can be avoided by just talking it through. The conversation does not need to be confrontational, but make sure your opinions are being heard.

This one may seem obvious, but simply respect one another. College dorms are practically the size of a cell. It comes with time, but understanding your roommates needs is important and will help you in the long run. Not only is it important to respect their space and belongings, but respect their emotions and be there for them. Mutual respect will result in a happy, healthy relationship.

Most importantly, have fun together! Try new restaurants, explore Allentown, go to a movie, or have a movie night together. The time you spend with your roommate should be enjoyable and uplifting.

Living with someone is challenging, but also fun and in my opinion one of the greatest parts about college. If you have a healthy relationship with your roommate, there will be no shortages of endless laughs and late night gossip sessions. Take the time to know your roommate and chances are there will be a positive outcome!

Radiate positive vibes, my friends.

Ella Bruck

Muhlenberg '21

Hi I'm Ella! I'm a sophomore at Muhlenberg College and a Media & Communications and Anthropology double major. I'm the Managing Editor and event coordinator for Her Campus at Muhlenberg. Some things about me: I love working out, travelling, and eating food (especially sushi)! 
Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.