jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Hookups: The Importance of Being Safe and Happy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Across colleges all over the country, hookup culture has become a huge part of life on campus. Hookup culture is a culture that accepts and encourages casual sexual encounters, including one-night stands and other related activity, without necessarily including emotional bonding or long-term commitment. Hooking up has become a norm on college campuses. In fact, especially freshman and sophomore year, it’s common for people to partake in hook-ups rather than romantic relationships. Most people don’t want to commit to anything serious. College is all about exploration and finding yourself, so it’s understandable that hooking up is such a big part of the college experience. Although it’s common, don’t feel pressure to engage in the culture. It’s definitely not for everyone and people don’t look at you differently for not wanting to partake in it. 

Here are some things to remember when you’re considering hooking up with someone:

Communication

It’s no surprise that this is important. In any aspect of life, communication is key. Especially in any sort of sexual relationship, it’s important to tell the other person what you want. If you only want to be friends, tell them. If you want to be more than friends, tell them. I get how nerve-wracking it can be, but it’s better that you be open in the beginning so that neither of your time is wasted. You also don’t want to lead the other person on. This saves everyone from heartache in the end.

Consent

Another incredibly vital part of the hooking up experience is consent. Consent is simply giving permission for the activities that are taking place. Remember: consent can be withdrawn at any point during the hookup. You don’t owe anyone your body. If you feel uncomfortable at any time, tell the person. If they don’t listen, don’t be afraid to use force and get out of that situation.

Protection

Protect not only against pregnancy, but also STDs. This includes using condoms and for ladies, going on the pill. It’s always better to use more methods of protection. Although most BC pills are 99% effective, there’s still that 1% chance of getting pregnant, so better safe than sorry.

Some Final Thoughts

Although the term “hooking up” means different things for different people, remember that you don’t owe anything to anyone. If you don’t want to go further than just kiss, that is fine. If the person you are hooking up with doesn’t accept that, they are NOT someone you want to be spending intimate times with. You are worthy of respect; you can and should demand it.

And of course, have fun! Hookups are supposed to be fun. Don’t feel guilty or ashamed for what you are doing. You are grown woman and are allowed to do what you want with your body!

Emily Garber

Muhlenberg '21

Muhlenberg College Content Editor