Fitness Class of the Week: Barre Class!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Hi everyone!

The next fitness class I am going to talk about is Barre Class! Before this year I had never gone to a barre class before and I have only heard about it from my mom’s friends! If you think this workout is you standing next to a ballet bar, you’re right! That is exactly what it is and it’s not easy! Heather, the instructor, tells you exactly what to do during the entire thing so you never feel lost or behind.

The first 10 minutes you warm up your muscles and stretch. After that it’s down to business with all different types of squats and leg lifts. This intense workout tones your muscles without any type of cardio. It is a nice change of pace if you have just been running on the treadmill for the past 2 months trying to work out. You don’t realize you’re working your muscles until you’re 2 minutes into that one position like a squat or leg lift and you start doing pulses. At some points I feel like my legs are about to fall off so you definitely feel the burn. :D

I love the pace and layout of this workout. It is very doable for someone who hasn’t worked out in awhile. There are also modifications if people need them! When we do push-ups on the floor you can go on your knees, you can do them regular, or challenge yourself and put your legs up on the bar. I would recommend this workout for any body type and at any level of experience! Heather is so welcoming to any new student!

You don’t need to get ready to sweat, but you do need to get ready to feel the burn!

I'm Darling, I'm 21 years old and I go to Muhlenberg College. I am a double major in Public Health and French.