Style > Beauty

Finding a Perfect Winter Skincare Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Perfecting a skincare routine can be difficult, especially when winter comes around. It is key to find products that will help keep your skin hydrated in the cold, dry weather. It can be overwhelming trying to figure out which products work for your type of skin (whether it is oily, dry or a combination of both), but I have found that there are so many great drugstore options that won’t break the bank!

Over the years, I have come up with a skincare routine that I use all throughout the year. In the winter months, I throw in a few extra steps to help my dry skin. An essential step that I have learned from various friends and family members is to always take your makeup off before going to sleep.

I use two products, a cleansing oil that takes the majority of makeup off my skin and makeup remover wipes from Neutrogena to get rid of any excess mascara or products that I missed.  

Even when I don’t wear makeup, I always use acne face wash, once in the morning when I wake up and once at night before I go to sleep. Recently, I have been loving Neutrogena’s “pink grapefruit oil free acne wash.” This ensures that my skin is completely clear of makeup and it controls my acne.

Sometimes, after using a face wash, my skin tends to feel somewhat dry or tight. Because of this, my next step is to use moisturizer, which will definitely help prevent skin from drying out in the winter. I use a moisturizer with sunscreen in it, which will keep your skin is protected from sun damage; believe it or not, even in the winter months your skin can be affected by the sun. When I am also struggling with acne, I use Tea Tree oil from Whole Foods. This product can dry out your skin if you use too much, so I usually only use a little on a cotton swab once a day (usually at night) on my acne. A little really goes a long way with this product!

I have found that, when I have time during the week, doing face masks is an excellent way to treat my skin and myself. 

I tend to use face masks 2-3 times a week. Recently I have been using face masks from Formula 10.0.6, which smell great and make my skin super soft and hydrated. 

Once you find the right products for your skin, having a daily skincare routine can be relaxing at the end of a long day, and your skin will thank you in the long run!

Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.