The Coconut Oil Craze

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Like many contemporary trends, coconut oil has been used in almost every way possible.  You can find it as a substitution in cooking recipes, in beauty regiments, and in many household products, but why is it so popular? Here’s everything you need to know about this versatile product:

Cooking

If you’ve watched any food-related video in the past year, then you have seen coconut oil used as an oil/butter substitution. Whether it’s granola bars or chocolate covered ice cream bites, coconut oil has been there and done that.

However, you shouldn’t be so quick to swap out this oil for your regular butter. Research has shown that coconut oil has about 12 grams of saturated fat per tablespoon used, which is more than 50% of the daily recommendation for intake of saturated fat.  Many people have fallen prey to this fad, based on claims that it helps promote weight loss and boosts immunity. However, instead of helping you, it can hurt you.  Make sure that if you’re choosing to use coconut oil as a substitute that it is organic and hasn’t been over processed. 

Hair

It is easy to go into the hair care aisle in a drugstore or beauty store and find some product containing coconut oil(s).  When it comes to your hair, coconut oil nourishes your strands and gives it a healthy glow.  I know from personal experience that I’ve had more success with these kinds of products than anything else. Plus, it smells incredible. 

One example of this use of coconut oil can be found in the OGX brand.  I’ve been using this brand for years, and I’ve never been disappointed.  Most recently, I tried their new Coconut Curls shampoo, conditioner, and styling milk.  For me, what separates this line from others under the OGX brand is the feel of the product.  Their coconut oil/material-based products are a lot lighter than others, and seriously who doesn’t love the smell of coconut products?

Makeup

The best way to use coconut oil, in my opinion, is when it comes to lip products.  Publications all over the country have created videos on how to make a DIY lip balm, and you only need a few ingredients to do so.  It only takes beeswax, coconut oil, and lipstick (or a crayon) for tint.  

Coconut oil is in more products than we may realize, and, though its popularity may fluctuate, make sure you’re using the right kind and for the right reasons. Using an over-processed oil instead of the organic type can end up harming you more than helping.

Sources:

https://www.vogue.com.au/beauty/wellbeing/actually-coconut-oil-is-bad-for-you/news-story/0282c3247f203098f04b5174640c05cd?

https://www.livestrong.com/article/363811-the-fatty-acid-composition-of-coconut-oil/

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/beauty-uses-for-coconut-oil

Sarah Coffel

Muhlenberg '21

Currently a junior at Muhlenberg College studying Media & Communications and French.  I'm a Jersey girl born and raised that loves sushi, makeup and has a very random assortment of songs in my Spotify library