This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

I grew up an only child with my own room my whole life. I  benefited from having a lot more privacy than others when I was growing up. Since I had no siblings, I ended up spending a lot of time by myself, and, over time, I got used to it. It was always natural to me to enjoy my own company and the peacefulness of being by myself.

I don’t think taking time for yourself shouldn’t be viewed as negative; I was always confused when my friends hesitated to say they needed time for themselves. I never understood why people felt “weird” about being by themselves or needing alone time. Alone time is what we need to function as human beings; it is good for our mental and psychological health. So, why is it that people feel so uneasy about needing alone time? And why do they feel the need to apologize when they need time to themselves?

Spending time by yourself does not mean you’re lonely. It does not mean you have no friends or are antisocial. It simply means to you need to seek solitude to reflect on certain aspects of your life. You are taking a break from chaotic daily life and giving yourself time to breathe. Psychologists have proven that spending time alone increases empathy for others and productivity working on tasks. With privacy, you have a chance to check-in with your true self without any outside influences.

Solitude has also been proven to help you build your mental strength. We live in a world that is obsessed with getting attention and being liked. We feel a pressure to surround ourselves with people all the time even. Time to yourself has been linked to increase happiness, greater life satisfaction, and improved stress management. People who take time to themselves experience less occurrences of depression. It helps us develop a strong connection with ourselves and form a relationship with who we are as people. It teaches us to enjoy our own company. I, for one, love spending time by myself in many different ways. I can read a book, have a jam session, watch a movie, or take a bubble bath. These things are all linked to self-care, which is what you need to develop self-awareness. These two components together can lead to a deeper sense of self-love.

In college, it can be especially hard to find a place for privacy and to spend time alone. However, try to seek out certain spots around campus where you can have some “me” time. This can be an obscure area of the library, the back corner of the dining hall, or the lounge in your dorm hall. Making time for yourself is essential, especially in college, and you shouldn’t apologize for it. Early adult years are a time of finding yourself and who you truly are. You find that sort of solitude when you spend time alone by yourself, and it is not weird at all, it is a necessity. It gives more than just a chance to breathe, but a chance to take in our own thoughts, feelings, and emotions and enjoy what our bodies and spirits have to offer. That is the beauty of alone time and why I cherish it so much.

The yearning for alone time is the introverted part of yourself talking to you. It is to take good care of yourself. I love people and I love being social, but there is a time in place in my day where I need time to myself. If you feel like you need it too, don’t apologize and spend time with yourself. It’s what we need as human beings to function in a society that often tries to detach us from our authentic selves.  

Hello! My name is Caroline Kinney, and I am the Campus Correspondent of the Muhlenberg Her Campus Chapter! I am originally from Leesburg, Virginia (D.C./Maryland/Virginia area) and currently a sophomore majoring in Theatre with a minor in Creative Writing. I am elated to be entering into this position at Her Campus Muhlenberg. My primary goals as the President/Editor-In-Chief of the chapter is to have an intersectionality approach to all of our content and to create a special bond between every team member in the chapter. Lover of corgis, guacamole, and intersectional feminism. I am so excited for this semester!
Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.