What I Wish I Had Known As a First Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

You did it! You finally managed to escape the narrow confines of high school and arrive with triumph at your new home in the middle of nowhere, Mount Holyoke College. The first week of classes has come and gone, a small miracle in and of itself- the first week of true obligations and requirements and “oh my” moments. Some of you lovely first-years may be jumping for joy, entirely enthused with your newfound place at Mohome. Others may be calling their parents twice a day, if only to hear the comforting sounds of home for a few minutes. And still others may be experiencing a bizarre mix of both of these reactions, simultaneously thrilled and nervous all in one.

Wherever you’re at, it’s ok. Before you go doubting me here, let me reassure you, it really is ok. Take it one day at a time and remember that if you feel like you’re struggling, solace can always be found in many activities such as drinking in the quiet beauty of the Reading Room, walking around the serene and ever-beautiful Upper Lake, and even in listening to the aggressive squawks of our beloved quasi mascot, Jorge (he’s not as threatening as he makes himself out to be). The counseling center is also a great resource for whatever you may need, whether it be a cup of tea, or some helpful insight to calm your mind.

Take comfort, dear first-years, as in the last few weeks you have begun to establish your place and your future at an institution that will push you to step outside of your comfort zone. That said, remember to also be forgiving when you’ve stepped perhaps a little far and you want nothing more than to eat crackers in bed and watch Stranger Things, marveling at how real Barb is. (Go watch it. Please. It’ll mess you up in the best way.) Let yourself be a little freaked out about all that life at Mount Holyoke has to offer. It’s a lot to take in. You don’t have to know what you’re going to do with your life by next week, or even next year. You don’t have to take advantage of all the wonderful opportunities Moho has to offer, but do reach out and take what you like. Give yourself the time to let connections with friends grow and develop, because trust me, it does get better than asking someone for the upteenth time what their name is and where they are from. Most of all, please do remember that when you look around and it seems like everyone else has their life completely in order that’s not always the case, and chances are someone is most certainly looking at you and saying “damn, I want to be that awesome human”. Give yourself a chance to take it all in, there’s no rush. Welcome Mohome.

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Avid reader. Passionate human. Loves to cuddle with bunnies.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.